Capture Card Issues

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
desward
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Capture Card Issues

Post by desward »

This is my first post on here although I and my Company have been using Resolume for many years, it's great software. We do very large UK arena tours with your software and also some very High End Corporate events, and have been doing so with Resolume since 2008! It's great what you guys have achieved in the last 10 years.

I personally build all our show machines which are as higher spec as they come, Intel Systems X299, with i9 etc, Amd X399 with Ryzen Thredripper 1950x etc, all using 1080ti or Vega 64, m2 drives, now all running Windows 10 pro 64, either 1703 or 1803

My issue is that any capture cards we have seem to randomly stutter, on all systems, Magewell/Blackmagic/Aja io 4k pro, we own them all. They all have the very latest drivers and Firmware

There is a particular bug I am noticing with Blackmagic Cards within Resolume at the moment in that, when the source is selected it is always grainy and stutters until you just reselect a different resolution ie, I plug in a Ursa Broadcast camera running at 1080p 60, and it opens with the said fault, then I select say 1080i @ 60 then it just reselects 1080p 60 and then it's smooth and clear. Same issue with Decklink Duo 2, or Decklink 4k, Ultastudio 4k on thunderbolt Dell Alienware Laptop

Then we get to the issue where things are great, then just Random stutters when simply looking at a camera feed on the User Interface, same stutters carry through to any selected output. I am not behind the door with PC's but I can't for the life of me spot what random Background Service maybe causing Interrupts. I have disabled all drivers that are not in use etc, looked at Task Manager, which shows no spikes in activity etc. The feed from the camera if looked at in Media Express never as any Frame Drops, same cards in V-Mix also behave fine

All I can say is that every driver is up to date, I have even rolled back drivers to no avail, every background Service not required is disabled etc. Obviously Latest Resolume Arena Build.

Any thoughts? And more important am I the only Person noticing this issue which I have across 8 different systems. as I can't find anything regarding this in any search.

If there are any background services that are known to cause these issues with capture cards in Resolume can you please point me in the right direction? Or if it's just a case that the said Capture Cards will do this come what may then just tell me that's how it is as I have been chasing this for months.

Do keep up the good work and I feel one day this will be sorted

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Capture Card Issues

Post by Zoltán »

desward wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 09:19 There is a particular bug I am noticing with Blackmagic Cards within Resolume at the moment in that, when the source is selected it is always grainy and stutters until you just reselect a different resolution ie, I plug in a Ursa Broadcast camera running at 1080p 60, and it opens with the said fault, then I select say 1080i @ 60 then it just reselects 1080p 60 and then it's smooth and clear. Same issue with Decklink Duo 2, or Decklink 4k, Ultastudio 4k on thunderbolt Dell Alienware Laptop
I don't think we have come across this issue yet.
Could you send us the Resolume log file via the feedback tab in preferences after seeing this?
desward wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 09:19 Then we get to the issue where things are great, then just Random stutters when simply looking at a camera feed on the User Interface, same stutters carry through to any selected output.
We have heard of this one happening on some systems, then there are users who haven't seen this at all.

You can expect some frame jitter, as the frame rates of your input, Resolume composition, and actual outputs are not synced together. This can look like as if one input frame is shown on the output for 2 frames, or one input frame is skipped on the output completely.
There can be also a factor of free bandwidth on the CPU, memory, and PCI-e lanes.
These new processors are turboing and throttling in a quite unpredictable manner,
I'm wondering how the CPU frequency looks like in these cases where you see this occasional stutter?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

desward

Post by desward »

Thank you for the reply

I will look into this further today by disabling all throttling etc and post my findings regarding stutters etc.

The fault when selecting the BM cards is the one that's baffling me, as I mentioned it's the same on all systems at the Moment, maybe it's a BM driver issue?

The one thing I will say is in Resolume 6 I have never seen Latency so low, it makes the D3's we own look bad!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

desward wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 07:23 The fault when selecting the BM cards is the one that's baffling me, as I mentioned it's the same on all systems at the Moment, maybe it's a BM driver issue?
You could try older BM drivers, from the 10.10 series. Don't go back further than that because Resolume 6 needs the newer ones.
The one thing I will say is in Resolume 6 I have never seen Latency so low, it makes the D3's we own look bad!
Sounds awesome!
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

Foresight

Post by Foresight »

Hey Guys,

Not experiencing the issues you are having but I am getting an issue which is caused by black magic capture cards. The issue I am having is that Resolume will not load and just hangs when I have a capture card installed in my machine. As soon as I remove the card, No issues.

Have tried on two separate machines with two different capture cards.. Specs as follows

Black Magic Decklink Duo 2
Intel I7 8700K
32gb Ram
GTX 1070TI
Windows 10 pro Version 10.0.17134

Posted about this awhile ago here - viewtopic.php?p=68628#p68628
Still having same issue with this machine when card is installed.
"The earth without art is just eh"

Nocturnal.nz

Foresight

Post by Foresight »

Found the issue here - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15939&start=10

Turns out its the virtual audio that was causing the hang, I just needed to change my audio output device and BAM! Up and running now :)

Could use that audio output though.... ;)
"The earth without art is just eh"

Nocturnal.nz

admiralperpetual
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by admiralperpetual »

Foresight wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 01:55 Found the issue here - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15939&start=10

Turns out its the virtual audio that was causing the hang, I just needed to change my audio output device and BAM! Up and running now :)

Could use that audio output though.... ;)
I've had similar issues where I try to open a composition which had previously been using all the outputs from the Decklink card, but now BMD Desktop Video had auto-configured the card to be using dual-link, IE "SDI 1+2, 3+4", so until I went back and reset those back to "SDI 1" "SDI 2" "SDI 3" "SDI 4" only it wouldn't load up at all. annoying but glad I found the fix!

ALSO:
I've noticed a problem where if you select some of the connectors in your Comp to be Inputs but then clear/delete them, Advanced output still won't let you assign them as outputs until you close and re-open Resolume.. not the end of the world but annoying too.

desward

Post by desward »

Well I have continued to mess and test and I've now resigned myself to the fact, I can't find any answers to my original post. I still see the occasional frame stutters which must be as you say Zoltan, an input to output sync issue. This is a real shame as it is very noticeable when using Camera Capture on a 5mtr x 3mtr 2.6mm pitch Led Screen (1920 x 1152). Same on all builds of PC's I have tested, all very high end and using very little resources. I cannot find a fix, are you saying that's how it is?

And I still have the same issue with the grainy stuttering BM source when first opened in a composition, it does select the incoming format correctly, but only looks right when I select a different format which it then reselects the original one when first opening, and then all smooth and clear, then the random stutters start.

I don't have this issue with Magewell or Aja, Just BM, but I still do get the Random stutters from those too.

One thing I have noticed is on a fresh install of BM drivers, the first time you run Resolume it's perfect then there after it reverts to having the fault. It's as if something gets written into the registry that then sit's there until another clean install of Resolume or the BM drivers are carried out, It's very strange. But if it's only me who as this issue that's even more strange as I now have this across a lot of High end systems, Including Dell Alienware Laptops using Ultra Studio 4K capture cards via Thunderbolt.

Maybe I'm looking at it too hard!

Anyway keep up the good work and hopefully one day this issue will go away

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

desward wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 07:54 Well I have continued to mess and test and I've now resigned myself to the fact, I can't find any answers to my original post. I still see the occasional frame stutters which must be as you say Zoltan, an input to output sync issue. This is a real shame as it is very noticeable when using Camera Capture on a 5mtr x 3mtr 2.6mm pitch Led Screen (1920 x 1152). Same on all builds of PC's I have tested, all very high end and using very little resources. I cannot find a fix, are you saying that's how it is?
The issue with this is that a lot of our users use capture cards, and we only have a few reports about this.
For most, this works fine, or they are not looking hard enough ;)
If this would be a clear issue with Resolume then we should have a lot more users contacting us I guess.
I'll create a ticket, we'll see if we can recreate it, and if this can be improved somehow.

Could you try the capture cards with the 6.0.8 release on one of these machines?
On our download page you'll find a "Select Version..." combobox, which has most previous releases.
Select the one you'd like and your download should start.
And I still have the same issue with the grainy stuttering BM source when first opened in a composition, it does select the incoming format correctly, but only looks right when I select a different format which it then reselects the original one when first opening, and then all smooth and clear, then the random stutters start.

I don't have this issue with Magewell or Aja, Just BM, but I still do get the Random stutters from those too.
Could you create a screen recording of this happening, maybe we can see something to start with.
Thanks!

Darknixes

Post by Darknixes »

Hi,

I am currently having the same issue with my setup.

Intermittent drops in frame rate.
At times everything is working okay. Most times there will be frame drops.
This only happens to all the inputs that come in.

Any solution? Using Resolume 6.1.3.
Finally managed to update it and make it work.