Using Rotatory Knob to turn effect ON

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Alvis_Cortex
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Using Rotatory Knob to turn effect ON

Post by Alvis_Cortex »

Hello fellow VJs

If I remember right at previous versions of Resolume, if I had an effect turned ON but with its opacity at 0% then that effect would not affect my machine's performance (it would be the same as it was turned OFF) but that doesn't seem the case with R6. Is that right? If I have a few effects turned ON with their opacity at 0% my FPS does drop.

The reason I do that (have effect ON but at 0%) is because I map its opacity (and a few more parameters) to a rotatory knob on my APC40 and in order to make it as intuitive as possible (and react to what the DJ is doing) I just want to be able to turn the knob up for the effect to start working (instead of having to push a pad first to turn the effect ON and then use the knob)

What I used to do with R5 was to map the ByPass button of that effect to a knob on the APC using the Absolute reACT mapping mode and that meant turning the knob up would also turn the effect ON and the more I rotated the knob the more visible the effect was. Is there a way of doing the same with R6? To map the Bypass to a knob and make sure it changes its mode (from OFF to ON) once I rotate the knob?

I believe I can use BOME for this but I'm trying to use a native solution first

Thanks in advance

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Using Rotatory Knob to turn effect ON

Post by Zoltán »

Alvis_Cortex wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:46 If I remember right at previous versions of Resolume, if I had an effect turned ON but with its opacity at 0% then that effect would not affect my machine's performance (it would be the same as it was turned OFF) but that doesn't seem the case with R6. Is that right? If I have a few effects turned ON with their opacity at 0% my FPS does drop.
Effects at 0% opacity are bypassed from the rendering pipeline.
You can try this placing a blur effect onto a clip in a 4k composition and turning the quality of the blur up and playing the clip.
Then turn the blur opacity down to 0%, You should see the same fps with the blur bypassed.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu