multiple output crash

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
suzybee
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

multiple output crash

Post by suzybee »

hi gang,

I'm loving my new Alienware 15 inch R4 laptop, it's handling my layers and effects really well.
However i have got a problem with the output...

If i use the fullscreen output the external display goes white and Resolume crashes.
If i use the windowed output then it's fine.

However, i have Resolume Arena and i now wish to connect 2 separate displays (one with the composition output and one with a single layer output). It doesn't seem to be possible to choose "windowed" displays in the advanced output, so every time i try to set the output in the advanced output window, Resolume crashes.

Can anyone offer any advice?
It's not ideal to only be able to use the windowed output, because sometimes the projectors in venues are a slightly different resolution ratio so i end up with a bit of my desktop showing at the edges, so finding a way to use the fullscreen output would be better...
My laptop is 4K resolution and my output is 1920x1080 (HD), in case that's relevant...

Thanks!!
Suzybee :)

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: multiple output crash

Post by Zoltán »

Sounds like Optimus is messing with you.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15711
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

suzybee

Post by suzybee »

Hi Zoltan,
Thanks for your reply, i appreciate your help.
i've been trying to work out how to disable optimus and i'm struggling.
I don't know anything about Bios, and i can't find anything in the NVIDIA control panel.
Could you explain in layman's terms how to do it?
Many thanks!!!

suzybee

Post by suzybee »

...i've been trying various settings and i've had no improvement. I ended up unwittingly updating the BIOS by clicking on some software updates which was totally scary (!!!) and i'm still not sure whether that was a good thing or not...?!
I've spoken to the Nvidia tech support via web chat and they said it's not good to disable optimus (and didn't seem to want to tell me how!).

If i try to talk to the Dell support, to resolve the issue, i'm not sure what to tell them because i don't have a problem connecting an external display (or two) until i try to output to them within Resolume. So i'm thinking there's something about the way resolume deals with the output which causes the problem?
I'm not a very technical person, so if you can give me any info or advice which i could get my head around that would be amazing!

My issue is still that i can only output using the windowed output or the external display goes white and resolume crashes. Plus if i try to set up a 2nd external display in the advanced section there's no option to choose "windowed display" and the same crash happens.
Thanks!