eGPU low fps

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
MANA
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

eGPU low fps

Post by MANA »

Hi! I have been running Resolume on xps 9350 together with the Aorus gaming box with GTX 1080. This setup has been very stable and relatively fast. Now I swapped the 9350 for an xps 15 9570 and have been running into problems.

When I open up a new composition and try to output through the eGPU into an exxternal 1080p monitor my fps suddenly drops to around 20 with or without acutally playing any video. Everything works fine either entirely without the eGPU (by plugging the monitor straight to the laptop) or when having the eGPU connected (that way I do get way higher fps than with the onboard GTX 1050) but not outputting to an external monitor.

All other programs run nicely with the eGPU, Resolume is the only one that has problems. I have updated both all the laptop drivers and Nvidia ones to no avail.

I would be super grateful if anyone could try and help me out, because I'm afraid I'm all ut of ideas.

Thanks!

cash4626
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: eGPU low fps

Post by cash4626 »

Maybe you have to use the egpu only and not your laptop monitor? Your egpu card would give you 4 outputs, use one for a monitor (for the resolume interface) and the other three as outputs, if you plug a monitor into the egpu your laptop would be running of the intel if im not mistaken?

cvanhoose
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by cvanhoose »

Just like cash said, you need to have your GUI on the eGPU card. Using the laptop monitor will kill your performance.
Resolume is not eGPU accelerated. Maybe in the future, fingers crossed.

MANA
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by MANA »

cash4626 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 19:47 Maybe you have to use the egpu only and not your laptop monitor? Your egpu card would give you 4 outputs, use one for a monitor (for the resolume interface) and the other three as outputs, if you plug a monitor into the egpu your laptop would be running of the intel if im not mistaken?
cvanhoose wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 20:05 Just like cash said, you need to have your GUI on the eGPU card. Using the laptop monitor will kill your performance.
Resolume is not eGPU accelerated. Maybe in the future, fingers crossed.
Thank you both for your advice!

I managed to solve the problem by just disabling and reenabling my laptop screen after plugging in the eGPU, but I'm afraid some of what you said is either incorrect or just misleading.

So just in case anyone stumbles on this thread in the future I would like to set the record straight and say that you absolutely CAN use an eGPU with resolume, as it works just like any other GPU would. It's false to say that 'Resolume is not eGPU accelerated' as there is nothing stopping you from running Resolume on the eGPU, both the UI and the outputs. Also, while it's true that using the laptops internal screen while rendering stuff on the eGPU will cause a performance hit, it is in the order of around 10% given that your laptop has 4 thunderbolt 3 lanes.

The bug that I was having was very different, as the performance fell drastically. Using a GTX 1080 externally is easily able to power many layers while outputting to two 1080p screens and also running the laptops 4k screen (this is not ideal, but it is plain wrong to say that it won't work or the performance is supposed to be under 60fps).

cvanhoose
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by cvanhoose »

MANA,
Resolume is not currently eGPU accelerated for the internal display. eGPU cases currently only max out at 2 lanes. Not all of them offer 2 lanes. I am using the Razer Core v2 with 2080ti GPU. I have pushed 4x - 4k outputs at 60fps from a 2018 MBP.
Yes it will work, you may have taken the information given to you wrong in our previous statements as they are right on point.
As mentioned, you will have to use your external GPU to render the GUI and outputs. If you use your internal display you will take a drastic performance hit.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

cvanhoose wrote:Resolume is not currently eGPU accelerated for the internal display. eGPU cases currently only max out at 2 lanes. Not all of them offer 2 lanes. I am using the Razer Core v2 with 2080ti GPU. I have pushed 4x - 4k outputs at 60fps from a 2018 MBP.
Yes it will work, you may have taken the information given to you wrong in our previous statements as they are right on point.
As mentioned, you will have to use your external GPU to render the GUI and outputs. If you use your internal display you will take a drastic performance hit.
I totally agree with cvanhoose regarding the eGPU and making sure the Resolume UI is on the eGPU to get maximum performance.

trekfan42
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by trekfan42 »

I leave my laptop monitor connected but add a eternal pc monitor off of the egpu and just running resolume window on that monitor vs the laptop monitor make a difference for me..
also i recommend disabling the igpu..

razer blade 15 1st gen.
razer core v2
vega 56