dxv3 codec content can't be imported into AE CC2019

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
vincent.
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

dxv3 codec content can't be imported into AE CC2019

Post by vincent. »

I just used OSX Mojave's new screenshot app to record one of my displays. The resulting video clip can't be imported into my AE project; it cames that the DXV3 file is 'damaged or unsupported'.

What can I do about this? I've already tried reinstalling the codec which didn't work. Is there a way for me to uninstall it? Would that fix the problem. For some reason my machine is exporting that captured video using the dxv3 codec.

I'm on a macbook pro 2017 edition with the most up to date version of osx.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: dxv3 codec content can't be imported into AE CC2019

Post by Arvol »

So the screenshot app encoded the video in DXV3? Can you try having it use a different codec and see if that works?
Maybe capture it in a different codec, do your editing in AE then export from AE into DXV3.

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

Arvol wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 19:37 So the screenshot app encoded the video in DXV3?

Strange, the mojave's screenshot app can only encode to h264 (not customizable). More strange, you can encode dxv3 just using alley, adobe plugins or old qtkit components. Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect non of them can be called from avfoundation.
Vincent, are you sure capture was made by screenshot app?

In the other hand, Adobe exporter plugins allow AE cc2019 to read dxv3 files? :roll:

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

OSX's screenshot app definitely encodes to h264.

There is however what we think might be a bug in Adobe's importer framework. When importing a file, we we try to look if a file is a DXV encoded file. If not, we give it to Adobe to handle, but Adobe will then keep *calling it* a DXV3 file, even though it's not and it's doing all the loading and decoding itself. It's like meeting someone and asking if their name is Bob, they say no and introduce themselves but you keep on calling them Bob anyway. It's not really harmful, but it leads to all sorts of confusing situations.

So what I think happened was that OP somehow got a corrupted h264 recording, tried to open it in Adobe, and Adobe said the "DXV3 file" he tried to load was unsupported. Leading to the confusion we now find ourselves in.

We'll be happy to take a look at the file if you like, but I'm 99% sure this is what happened.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

You can remove the Adobe DXV plugins by deleting them from

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Plug-ins/7.0/MediaCore/Resolume DXV

and/or

/Applications/Adobe After Effects [version]/Plug-ins/Resolume DXV