LED strip controller - how to connect?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Playplay
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

LED strip controller - how to connect?

Post by Playplay »

Hi guys.

I'm working on a project and I need to have Resolume send video to two independent LED strips. I am a beginner with LED strip so please help :!:
I only need to control about 180 LEDs and I need my system to be very portable.

So far it looks like my best option is the Elation eNode2 POE (Ethernet Powered, Art-Net and 2 universes)
https://www.elationlighting.eu/en/enode-2-poe.html

1. How do I connect the LED strip to this controller? Is there a DMX 5pins to LED strip cable available somewhere or so I need to buy wires, DMX 5 pins connectors and solder it to the LED strip?
2. Do I need anything else besides power blocks for my LED strips?

Thank you!

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: LED strip controller - how to connect?

Post by Oaktown »

What kind of LED strips are you using?

Playplay

Post by Playplay »

I am not sure yet of which brand/model yet. I just know I need them to be RGB or RGBW and addressable. Can you not control any kind of LED strip with the eNode2 ?

I'm looking at these right now https://www.adafruit.com/product/2970 as they're skinny and 144 LEDs per meter but I'm open to other suggestions.

Playplay

Post by Playplay »

Guys? Can anyone help?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

I think questions about how to connect a specific type of LED strip to a specific type of controller are best directed at the manufacturer of that controller.

We can help you with connecting Resolume to the controller. Anything after that point, you’re in their hands, not ours.

Playplay

Post by Playplay »

Thank you for your reply Joris. So as far as Resolume goes there is no compatibility problem with the eNode2? Or the Enntec products?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Resolume works with any DMX box that supports Art-Net.

The device you linked supports Art-Net.

Not all Enttec products support Art-Net.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

And to add to Joris’ answer, some LED strip take ArtNet directly so you wouldn’t need a node, just a router or go direct into the first fixture.

And if you’re dealing with Pixel tape or strips you’d also need a different kind of controller so as you can already tell, there is no real easy answer.

My personal favorite ArtNet/DMX node is the Chauvet NetX.

Joris

Post by Joris »

Really though, you're barking up the wrong tree with a DMX node. Those are good when you have a bunch of factory built LED tubes that have an actual DMX input.

When you want to use LED strips straight off the spool, take a look at this part of the manual: https://resolume.com/support/en/getting ... led-strips

Playplay

Post by Playplay »

Thanks for the input! After looking into what you guy are saying I'm taking the Pixelite route.
That link was super helpful Joris :)