DMX Control seems to read change rather than state

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
RaraAvis
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

DMX Control seems to read change rather than state

Post by RaraAvis »

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to use Resolume as a DMX controlled media server and am having an issue with the way I think its reading DMX.

This problem is this:

When I load the lx console show and go to the beginning of my cue list, all the DMX values should be at their home/default position, for example Opacity of each layer should be at 0.

On the lx console and in Resolume's DMX monitor those channels are reading as 0.

The problem is that the actual faders that are being controlled are not showing 0, they are at whatever state was previously left.

I think what I can put it down to is that Resolume is reading changes in DMX value rather than constantly reading the STATE of the dmx value.

The work around is to jog the values up and down so that Resolume catches up. This is difficult to do with a full universe of layers with a variety of different parameters. It can also cause issues when programming a show and I need to jump around the cue list.. as parameters don't set back to what they should.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: DMX Control seems to read change rather than state

Post by Zoltán »

Indeed Resolume will start responding to the first change in DMX input.
It's designed this way so you can take over operation on the Resolume machine if needed.

I'd recommend to set up an initialization cue, that would change the values of the faders you need to initialize, then the 0 values for these would be recognized as a change in channel value.

Looks like we have a ticket in the features bucket to address this by adding a button in Resolume to sync to the input once, however I can't give you an estimate on when and if we can implement it.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Or a cue that does 0 - 255 - 0, because sending 0 on your init cue while you were already sending 0 still wouldn't be picked up as a change.

To put it a bit into context, the whole idea that DMX sends continuous is not really something that gels well with a software paradigm. Most GUI based software revolves around clear start and stop moments, like mouse-down or note-on when something starts and mouse-up or note-offs when something ends.

In the past, we always struggled with clip triggers via DMX. Because DMX sends continuously, clips would never make it past the first frame, because they would be retriggered 30 times a second. Reacting only on change was an easy way to deal with this problem.

We've made DMX input a lot more robust on Resolume 6, so maybe it's time we re-assess this approach. That's not something we're likely to do soon in a minor point update though, so for now, Zoltan's advice about the init cue is probably the best way to go.

RaraAvis

Post by RaraAvis »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I understand the 'bruce force' of continuous data isn't very elegant but unfortunately thats how DMX works and all DMX devices I know of work this way.. I do wonder if a protocol other than ArtNet.. such as Streaming ACN (sACN) might be more efficient with this?

https://artisticlicenceintegration.com/ ... d-art-net/

I must say I've approached using Resolume via DMX with the same mentality as I have with other DMX controlled media servers such as Catalyst, D3, Hippo so have come with certain expectations. I've just had to re think a bit to make this work but if it did have the constant state as an option I think it would really be a contender with any of those other pieces of software.

Thanks,

Chris

RaraAvis

Post by RaraAvis »

FYI one thing I've seen implemented in other software is being able to set an interval to poll the DMX state if constantly reading it destroys performance stability.

There are so many great things about this software! It would literally be the knees of bees if it could be controlled by DMX in this way.

Thanks!!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Try to set the shortcuts to "This..." target.
Once you got everything in sync with a single cue - you could do all channels full , then back to 0, then first cue - every other change should be followed in Resolume.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu