Running Res Arena 6 from SSD - glitch!

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
patrickdunn2018
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Running Res Arena 6 from SSD - glitch!

Post by patrickdunn2018 »

I'm trying to run Arena 6 with most content from a Sandisk Extreme 500gb external SSD. I've noticed that larger files in particular (above about 2gb) show a distinct, brief pause or glitch occasionally; just a few frames, but enough to ruin the flow. All files are DXV3, 1080. The same thing happened on another Sandisk 1TB SSD, so it's not the specific hardware. The same files don't glitch when played directly from the laptop's main internal SSD or from a 256gb usb 3 stick; and strangely, they run fine from an external USB3 hard drive. Smaller files don't show the glitch. The same files are fine played on quicktime player, and in all other software. So the problem is something to do with the relationship between the SSD and Arena.

Can anyone help? Thanks!!

Patrick

Specs: Macbook Pro 2016; 2.9 ghz i7; 1TB SSD; Radeon Pro 460; 4096 MB

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Running Res Arena 6 from SSD - glitch!

Post by Zoltán »

Sounds like the external drive or the connection can't keep up with the read speeds.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

vj8k3
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by vj8k3 »

Im having the same issue

I had the san disk 1T external ssd and it never glitched but then got a 2T and it glitches when I choose clips far away from eachother or maybe are larger

it pauses the video for a second on my laptop (asus zen book) and on screen. I can still play but it makes me really nervous to click new clips

wondering if the larger drive means it more data on the drive so it slows down from that somehow...and 1T sometimes it took a long time to load up files but never really glitched like this. And theres no glitch if i play clips off the computer

they are both formatted exfat with dvx3
👮♟ ş𝕄𝕆ⓚᗴ ℂяⓐ℃k 卄AιĹ 𝓈ΔⓉ𝒶Ň 😎

Asus pro duo
Intell cor I7
16 gig ram
Gforce rtx 2060
mouse

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

External drives are almost always going to give users problems. If at all possible avoid using them. They're great for "transferring" data, but not so great for "playing back" data. I would never advise people to use external drives for show performances. With that being said, the samsung drives seem to have the best performance out of them all, but for a price of a samsung 2tb external, you can get a really nice internal for less. (if your device supports it)