Capturing High Quality Resolume Output/General Video Rendering Question

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
steezlebeads
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Capturing High Quality Resolume Output/General Video Rendering Question

Post by steezlebeads »

Hey yall,

I've been working on a visual set to aid my live music setup in ableton for quite some time now. However, I'm still unfamiliar with certain fundamentals of the language of video processing.

In audio, when you bounce or freeze a track with many plugins on it, you free up tremendous amounts of CPU overall. Does this same thing apply with rendering video with multiple effects/layers?

In other words, is a rendered/recorded video file analogous to a rendered audio file/waveform? (with respect to audio units/plugins/effects/layers)

Specifically, I'm trying to use OBS to capture the output from resolume so that I can put the result of the capture back into resolume(after DXV encoding in Alley) and save on overall processing power on the CPU/GPU. However, when I do this, the result is usually pixelated and not smooth. My clips are all triggered by Midi from ableton, so it would be much easier/more organized if I was dealing with essentially one movie per song. If anyone has suggestions on how I should set up resolume and OBS to get a quality output like I do within resolume, that would be extremely helpful. Or if there are any alternatives that are simple, that would be awesome as well.

I'm running arena 5 on a macbook pro 2017 w/ 4gb gpu, 16gb ram, and 1TB SSD.
Let me know if there's any other specs or info that I can provide to be helpful.

Thanks!

lightbx
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Capturing High Quality Resolume Output/General Video Rendering Question

Post by lightbx »

Honestly the best way to do this would be to NOT record video on the same machine that you’re generating content with. You can imagine what a load that is putting on your Macbook - even the new one.

The simplest and easiest way to do this would be to use a Blackmagic capture device. You can buy a Mini Recorder HDMI-Thunderbolt for $145 online, and may find it to be a very handy tool for your work. You’ll have high-quality, full 4:4:4 color videos to then convert to DXV. Just note, this device maxes at 1080p30, so if you really need 1080p60 or 4K take a look at similar Blackmagic or AJA capture devices.

Of course, you’ll need a second Macbook / PC with Thunderbolt 2 ports - or a generous friend who might sit alongside you for a day - and a nice SSD for the vids - it will take up considerable space. The drive will also just help keep things organized. The recording device doesn’t need to be as beefy as the 2017 MBP, an older one should do. (EDIT: as long as you’re cool with 1080p30 or 1080p24)

steezlebeads
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by steezlebeads »

lightbx wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 18:55 Honestly the best way to do this would be to NOT record video on the same machine that you’re generating content with. You can imagine what a load that is putting on your Macbook - even the new one.

The simplest and easiest way to do this would be to use a Blackmagic capture device. You can buy a Mini Recorder HDMI-Thunderbolt for $145 online, and may find it to be a very handy tool for your work. You’ll have high-quality, full 4:4:4 color videos to then convert to DXV. Just note, this device maxes at 1080p30, so if you really need 1080p60 or 4K take a look at similar Blackmagic or AJA capture devices.

Of course, you’ll need a second Macbook / PC with Thunderbolt 2 ports - or a generous friend who might sit alongside you for a day - and a nice SSD for the vids - it will take up considerable space. The drive will also just help keep things organized. The recording device doesn’t need to be as beefy as the 2017 MBP, an older one should do. (EDIT: as long as you’re cool with 1080p30 or 1080p24)
Is this really the only possible solution? Putting down 145 for that kind of device and getting my hands on another machine just aren't viable for me right now. I've read on a number of other posts that OBS should be able to achieve some sort of high definition, just not specifics on how to achieve it. I don't need it to be perfect, but the results now are just very noticeably degraded.

I'm also still curious about CPU/GPU load of rendered vs. real-time processed video files if any one knows about this.

Shamai
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Shamai »

What about something like a shotgun inferno or some other type of external recorder

Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Grimm90 »

I have been using OBS studio (on windows) quite regulary , and rarely had recording issues.

The only times i did , the recordings sometimes would stutter and the machine was quite hitting max on performance too , so it might be in there.

Are you sure you have your settings right in OBS ?
There is this "Output" tab in the settings, that has to be set to the right encoder & bitrate..

Could you alternatively prepare everything on your macbook for the "recordings" , and find someone with a more powerful computer and record from their machine ?
It's a bit a hassle but costs nothing and could be done in afternoon or so