Arena 6 and Unison House Light Issue

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
JKHall
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Arena 6 and Unison House Light Issue

Post by JKHall »

Having a networking issue between Arena 6.1.3 and our Unison House Light Controller.

Recently upgraded our Resolume computer. Everything worked fine with the old computer. Using same composition, advanced output, and everything from that old computer.

Rig is:
MA2 OnPC 3.6.1.1 on MA computer
Resolume Arena 6.1.3 on Resolume computer
58 Artnet Universes of LED tape, sending Artnet from both Arena 6 and MA2
8 Elation eNode8 Pro for LED tape DMX output
1 Elation eNode4 for Lighting Fixture DMX output
Unison House Light Controller
2 ETC Sensor+ Dimmer Racks

Issue seems to be a network collision from Arena. I'm able to control house lights from either MA2 or the house light controllers in the building up until I start Arena 6. Once Arena starts, I lose the ability to use the house light controller. I'm still able to control the dimmers from MA2. If I close out of Arena within a few minutes, I instantly regain control with the house light controller. If I leave Arena on for a bit, I have to restart the entire house light controller system to get control back from house light controller.

All 58 Artnet outputs from Resolume are set to target IP using Advanced Output, nothing is broadcast from Resolume. MA2 has 1 Artnet universe that is broadcast to all the LED tape, just to do basic color for easy control. MA2 is sending 1 Artnet universe to Resolume for control of Resolume.

I've looked at all the IP addresses and nothing is conflicting.

Is there something that Resolume is broadcasting behind the scenes that would cause an issue? Any help is much appreciated

Thanks!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Arena 6 and Unison House Light Issue

Post by Joris »

Both MA2 and Resolume are sending to the pixeltape? That's a conflict. When you send to the same node from two sources, you need to actively decide on the node who gets to take precedence.

It's probably better to route Arena through MA2, merge Arena's pixeltape output and MA2's own pixeltape output using HTP in MA2, and then send that output to the pixeltape. That way, when you go to black in Arena, MA2 automatically takes over.

JKHall
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Arena 6 and Unison House Light Issue

Post by JKHall »

The eNodes are able to receive from a primary and secondary source on each output. Resolume is sending Artnet in subnets 1-8 as the primary and MA2 is sending Artnet subnet 0 Universe 15 as the secondary for all of the tape. The eNode then merges them HTP. Never had a conflict doing it this way and makes it super easy. If it wasn't for the Enodes, then we would have to merge in MA2 but for a cheap Artnet box, they actually have great functionality.

We have figured out on the house light issue that while we are unicasting all the Artnet from Resolume, all the switches in the system are unmanaged and therefore are sending all the information to every device. The Unison controller is a 10Mbps card and can't keep up as there's just over 10Mb being sent from Resolume. So far, still haven't fixed the issue as the managed switch I got to put in between the system and Unison didn't have IP or Mac filtering. So still trying to find a managed switch (that doesn't cost a fortune) that has some sort of filtering in it that way I can tell the port sending to Unison to not receive from Resolume's IP. I'm hoping that this will solve the issue.