Frame Rate issues

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Vjcheshire
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Frame Rate issues

Post by Vjcheshire »

Let me start out by saying, yes I know DXV3 is the best way to go.

With that said, been using my new Sager with a 1080 in it and when I play Turbo Jpeg clips it drops frames like crazy. I get about 40fps with 1 clip playing, 25 with 2, and about 15 if I try to play 4 clips.

On the mac side, with my 2015 macbook pro, I can play the same files and not get any frame drop.
I would love to convert all the turbo jpeg into DXV3 but I simply do not have enough space (The whole motion loops library alone is 2tb which would turn out to be around 20tb if I converted).
Are there any solutions to get better frame rates? Why does the mac side seem to handle turbo jpeg better? Is there any other codec that I can go to that won't use 10x the file size and play at 60fps?

It seems like I should be getting better frame rates with a 1080 gfx card than 30fps with only 2 clips playing. Maybe I'm some setting or config of the nvidia drivers is better for turbo jpeg?

Additionally it seems like Resolume 5 handled turbo jpeg better as I didn't have this many frame rate issues with the Motion Loops Library.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Frame Rate issues

Post by Arvol »

Wow! That's a lot of content. I've been trading, purchasing, and building my collection for about 7 years and only have 1TB all of which is DXV3. Impressive, or scary, deepening on how you look at it lol.

My first comment would be to make sure you strip all the audio from the content. Even if there isn't any audio, if there is an audio track it, it will eat up un-necessary processing power.
I only use DXV3 so I can't recommend anything else in terms of performance.
Something on my LONG list of things to try (black tar heroin has recently been marked off.... just kidding) is to make a performance spreadsheet compiling about 10-20 of the lead codecs of the same file and playing the same file back in multiple layers and reporting back at what layer count does the fps drop bellow 60, and then again at 30. This way I can compare codec performance of non DXV3 codecs for a "if you have to" scenario.
Of course, files sizes and quality will need to be added into this sheet as well to see how much you actually gain in terms of storage space vs quality and performance.
So if any one would like to take the helm of this project, I'd love to see it happen. I'm hoping to get to it sometime this fall when things slow down.

Do you need all 20TB of DXV3 content to make your show happen?
I've recently done some house cleaning on my content and have moved about 2,000+ files to the cloud only storage drive as I haven't used them in 2 years.
Maybe trim down on your content count first, pick out the creme'de'la'creme and start there?

On a side note, I highly endorse the external Samsung SSD's. The T3's and T5's are my weapon of choice. I have about 8 of the 1TB drives, You can catch them on sale for $150 and they're worth their weight in gold ;)

Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Frame Rate issues

Post by Grimm90 »

Do you need that entire library all the time on stand by action mode ?

I would make my show at home, collect all the footage, throw that footage folder into alley (i prefer adobe encoder for many converts) and convert the show footage into DXV for my gig laptop or onto a external drive.

I now got different collect folders like "Tekno" & "Forest Psy" even ready to copy on my 4tb internal drive on my desktop.
I also have a folder with my favorite current content just ready to go on the side, so that's definitely with me always.

But ofcourse asks for some planning , some copy time too, and you can't busk that much free willy style.