Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Recorder crashes Resolume

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
djaureal
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Recorder crashes Resolume

Post by djaureal »

Hi,

My Resolume Arena crashes every time I try to load the Blackmagic source video.
Trying an empty project to avoid any additional processes but no luck.
Thanks

Macbook Pro 2018/I9
32GB RAM
eGPU Radeon Vega Frontier Edition 16 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
Resolume Arena 6.1.3
Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Recorder Software version 11.1
Apple Thunderbolt cable and adaptor

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Recorder crashes Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Try downgrading the Desktop video drivers to 10.11.4
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

kobiwan

Post by kobiwan »

Hi Guys,

I am having similar problems with 6.1.3. Wanting to connect 3 BMD ultra studio mini recorders before (1280x720 at 60/50fps) to a MacPro (2013). When I connect the thunderbolt cable one of the following things unpredictably happens:

a) Resolme crashes
b) Resolume recognises the device, but it crashes when I switch sdi to hdmi input or vice versa.
c) It seems fine till I connect a second BMD ultra studio mini recorder, then it crashes
d) sometimes I manage to connect 2 devices and the above only happens when I connect a third device

After resolume has crashed I can not restart it and have to reboot and restart and hope/pray...

I have tried Zoltan's suggestion, but it has not improved the situation. If I am lucky and I get all 3 devices connected I can only use 2 sdi inputs and one hdmi input. Bus configuration (what gets plugged where) seems to make no difference here.

On top of this it seems that if I get lucky and get everything to work after numerous restarts resolume will recognise the BMD Studio recorders in a seemingly random order (not the order they were plugged in)

I have a show looming closer and closer and no reliable setup. I have convinced several opera theatres in Germany to run shows on Resolume with live chromakeying stage setups in the past with Resolume 5 and this exact 3xBMD Ultrastudio setup, but now I am loosing confidence in the system...

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Were you able to send the crash reports with the dialog that pops up after the crash on 6.1.3?
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

kobiwan

Post by kobiwan »

thanks f the reply... no I was not able to do so...
my current workaround is to launch an old istallation of resolume 5 in demo mode ... thereafter I can restart 6.1.3...

Problem still not solved though.

I also have similar problems on my 2018 Macbookpro

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Do you see the crash reporter pop up with 6.1.3?

Could you please send us the Resolume 6 log file via the feedback tab in preferences?
Thanks!

Isse
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Isse »

I had the same issue recently with my setup with several ultrastudio 4k. Finally got it working again.
Had to disconnect everything and launch resolume, once opened I had to remove all capture inputs in my composition. save composition and turn it off. relaunch and then load the us4k again as capture inputs - then it started to work again.

My workaround atm is that I load the inputs everytime before a show. the composition doesn't contain capture inputs in the save file that being loaded upon launch

Not optimal but works atm. Did not have issues before, the just happened for me recently.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Thanks for sharing that Isse,

Could you please send us the Resolume log file via the feedback tab in preferences?
Thanks!

Isse
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Isse »

Thought I had the log for it but can not find it, will try to make the arror again at my composition workstation. My working comp with resolume 6 is out on tour atm. I found this out when I was making a new show and loaded my base-composition.

Will get back on this as I need this working.

Also, If I daisychain a ultrastudio 4k with a hyperdeck pro 2 it craches. Seems to be an issue with daisychaining a playback/capture (ultrastudio 4k) unit with a capture only unit (hyperdeck pro2) but not at all times.

Does resolume support hotplug for thunderbolt 2?
BMD states this for their thunderbolt gear:

"Thunderbolt Hotplug Requirements
Thunderbolt devices cannot be plugged in hot on kernels earlier than 2.6.30.

Supported kernels older than 3.12 require an extra step after plugging the device in. You must tell the kernel to rescan the PCI bus using the following command:

Kernel 3.12 and later support hotplug without the need for any extra steps."

But this should not affect resolume right?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Isse wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:39 Thought I had the log for it but can not find it
You can user the feedback form in the Resolume preferences to send us the Resolume log file.
Does resolume support hotplug for thunderbolt 2?
But this should not affect resolume right?
If the kernel doesn't support it, there is not much we can do. Isn't this info for use in Linux?