MIDI out

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
subpixel
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

MIDI out

Post by subpixel »

It seems to me that Resolume spits out TWO MIDI CC messages when I change a parameter value that is MIDI mapped (and MIDI out is enabled). Is anyone else seeing this? I'm using MIDI-OX on Windows to do the MIDI monitoring.

Also, if I use the same (virtual) MIDI device for both In and Out, if I try to change a MIDI Shortcut by using the "CC" dropdown (in the Shortcuts panel) then I get a condition where the auto mapping then repeatedly flips between the two different CC numbers. I don't know if that is an issue with the (loopMIDI) virtual MIDI device or a more general problem.

-spxl

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: MIDI out

Post by Zoltán »

subpixel wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:16 It seems to me that Resolume spits out TWO MIDI CC messages when I change a parameter value that is MIDI mapped (and MIDI out is enabled).
Looks like Resolume sends midi twice on Windows.
We have a ticket for this and are looking into it.
subpixel wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:16 Also, if I use the same (virtual) MIDI device for both In and Out, if I try to change a MIDI Shortcut by using the "CC" dropdown (in the Shortcuts panel) then I get a condition where the auto mapping then repeatedly flips between the two different CC numbers.
If you send and receive midi from/to the same midi device, you'll get a feedback loop. That's why you see the constant flipping in Resolume.
Feedback loops are not nice to have, so I'd recommend to disable either the midi input or the output from this device.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

subpixel

Post by subpixel »

You should be able to both-ways control a parameter in Resolume with an external device. eg an endless encoder.

It seems that when you change the shortcut, Resolume spits out 2 CC messages (with the old number), even though the parameter isn't changing. I don't know why you would ever need nor want to do that, and I think this is the cause of the problem. I think Resolume then also spitting out 2 CC messages with the new number, and so the automap race begins.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

subpixel wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:06 You should be able to both-ways control a parameter in Resolume with an external device. eg an endless encoder.
That feedback loop should be only an issue with virtual devices. These repeat on their output what they get on the input.
A hardware controller should not do that.
Do you have a specific controller connected that sends the messages it receives back to Resolume?
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

subpixel

Post by subpixel »

The feedback loop is perhaps only an issue because Resolume is doing something that doesn't make sense.

Resolume is behaving in a manner similar to a virtual device; it is receiving a value and sending a value back out (only in this case the old value, which is "wrong").

Perhaps an approach is to avoid sending out MIDI for parameters that have just been set by MIDI, or to not send out MIDI for parameters where the value was not changed by the incoming MIDI.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Resolume is sending midi output to devices you ask Resolume to send midi output to.
Midi output is also only sent for shortcuts.

I only get back the same value (twice) I send to Resolume. I use Midi ox event generator to send to Resolume.

This is how I set it up, Device 3 is where I send midi form Midi OX, Resolume outputs to device 4:
Képernyőfotó 2019-04-25 - 21.58.00.png

Could you send us a screenshot of your Resolume midi preferences, and Midi OX setup where you see different values returning from Resolume?