Resolume Arena 6.1.2 Black Screen Blink

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
iavorangelov
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Resolume Arena 6.1.2 Black Screen Blink

Post by iavorangelov »

Hello everyone!

I have a Mid 2015 MBP with AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB Card and I am experiencing a random black screen blink problem while using Resolume Arena 6.1.2. All the videos I use are with the DXV 3 codec.

I've searched the forum trying to find something on the topic and although I saw some similar issues and that the AMD cards are trouble, I was not able to find a solution.

The problem I experience is a totally random black screen blink (around 3 to 8 seconds) on both the output and preview window. I've tried different frame rates, video sizes, DMA textures on and off, but it still happens consistently. Sometimes it happens only to one of the layers (I saw a similar issue in another post), but sometimes it happen to the whole composition.

I was wondering if someone else have the same problem and if someone have already found a solution.

Any information would be welcomed as another gig is coming right around the corner and this problem makes me feel quite uncomfortable and unprofessional.

Thanks in advance!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Resolume Arena 6.1.2 Black Screen Blink

Post by Zoltán »

Do you see your whole built in display go black when this happens or only the Output preview in the Resolume UI?

Have you tried the latest 6.1.3 Resolume version?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

iavorangelov

Post by iavorangelov »

Hello Zoltan!

The issue occurs on both the main output and the built in display.

Haven't tried 6.1.3 yet but I guess it's time to give it a try!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Ok, so if I understand correctly your main display which is running Resolume goes all black, together with all other programs showing on it, correct?
If so, the issue sounds like bad cables or connectors and the OS doing a display detection cycle.
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

iavorangelov

Post by iavorangelov »

No, you've got me wrong! It's only an Output issue - Resolume itself is not blinking.

The black screen blink occurs only on the OUTPUT display as well as in the build-in Resolume OUTPUT preview display.

My Main Screen is NOT blinking, my output IS.

Everything else runs just fine in the background - Resolume running, Ableton running, all monitors running just fine. Even the videos I am playing are still running, however the output blinks.

The problem has nothing to do with cables or OS issues.

Here is a short video where you can actually see it happen (I recored my output). The issue occurs from second 00:08 until second 00:13:
https://youtu.be/yvcUNXWFkmA

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

If you see blinking to black in a specific layer while other layers play fine,
and the footage itself is not going to black - which you can check by previewing the clip -
I'd guess you have an effect on the layer that does this.
Could also be that the effect chain you have on the clip works in a way, that with a specific input it goes to black. For example if the chain samples input from a specific part of the clip, and that's going black.

Previewing the clip's layer could also give a clue if it happens on the clip or the layer.

Are you using any midi, OSC or DMX mapping?
If not, are these inputs disabled in preferences?

iavorangelov

Post by iavorangelov »

The black blink is happening on either a random clip/layer (not only on one specific) or on the whole composition.
I've been spending hours recently trying to find what might be causing this problem. Regarding your guess that it might be an effect causing this issue - I am suspecting that it might be the Edge Detection effect as I am using it on different clips, layers and I even have one on the whole composition. This suspicion comes from the fact that couple of times (when I tried to re-create the black screen blink in an empty composition) the Edge Detection effect bypassed itself for a couple of seconds very similar to the black screen blink we are trying to solve. So I am definitely experiencing some strange behaviour from that specific effect.
About your guess that it might be an effect chain input issue - this means that it will blink each time a video loop, but that's not the case, as it's totally random. Also I am not using any videos as an input for an effect.
Regarding the question do I use any MIDI, OSC or DMX mapping - the answer is yes, I don't use DMX though.
However the black screen blink happens also on a brand new composition free from any mappings or connections.
I am still trying to see if Edge Detection is causing the blink as I am not quite sure. I recently got a blink right after I changed the Auto-Size mode of a layer, which feels like my computer is unable to render the image for a couple of seconds and than continue just like it have never stopped.
Unfortunately there is no pattern at all - it happens completely random so I still can't figure what's causing it.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

If Resolume is not able to render the next image, you should see frame rate drops, and the previous frame being displayed.

Anyone else working in Resolume, connected to the same network when the flashes happen?

Could be also your midi controller messing with you, if you have a bad fader, and that's mapped to something that can make things go black. So the next thing I'd try would be removing the controller from the machine.

iavorangelov

Post by iavorangelov »

As I already said it happens on a brand new compositions free of any connections both midi or network, as well.

I will check if the frame rate is dropping when it happens.

However do you dismiss the Edge Detection possibility I mentioned?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

iavorangelov wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 13:35 However do you dismiss the Edge Detection possibility I mentioned?
We don't know of any other users experiencing this, so I'd say the Edge-detect works fine.

For a pc, I'd suggest to keep an eye on VRAM usage, but I don't know any program that can do that on a mac.

Could also be another program you run at the same time, messing with the VAM buffers.
Could also be a hardware issue.
Hard to say.

Edit: Also, creating a new composition will keep the currently loaded shortcut presets active, so your midi controller will be able to control your new composition also.