A healthy comp is a happy comp.

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

A healthy comp is a happy comp.

Post by Grimm90 »

Can anyone tell me what slows down the performance of resolume ? And what could i do software & hardware wise to speed this up ?
Not talking about FPS output here, but the general loading time of a composition , switching of decks..

The bigger my compositions get , the longer it takes to open & load them , that's quite logic.
But sometimes everything gets very slow for me, UI being slow in response, midi even reacting with a lag.
Certain actions eat tons of time (insert new column for example), and when i start a new comp it's fast again.

I'm gonna get myself a new desktop soon and i would like to focussed to solve my current issues.
I'm going for 32gig DDR4 3200 ram, main M2 ssd & secondary samsung evo ssd for content, a 1080ti & the best cpu i can still afford with my budget.

Or would you say that 32gig ram for example is overkill but i should definitely get the best cpu i can afford?
I do use a lot of generative effects & effects on groups & comp level..

Besides DXV, no background apps, great gpu & fast drives, are there any other things i really should avoid or could do ?
Max 100 clips in a composition ? No PNG' masks ? Leave out the trails effect ?

What eats what type of pc resources ?

Thx !

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: A healthy comp is a happy comp.

Post by Zoltán »

Having more clips, with more effects need more time to instantiate when you switch to a deck.
Lots of clip slots, even if empty are a more heavy than a few.
Try to avoid blurs with quality turned up, they can get heavy very quickly.
I'd try to keep decks small with few clips, so they switch faster.

As to the hardware, there are more experienced hardware builders here ;)
But I'd keep my footage I use on my faster drive.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

caris3
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: A healthy comp is a happy comp.

Post by caris3 »

I relocated all clips into 1 folder with no sub folders . That made a big difference for me.