Reverse playback lag / trigger lag

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
cyndamoore
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Reverse playback lag / trigger lag

Post by cyndamoore »

Hello,

I'm experiencing issues on the reverse playback of clips. The clips I am trying are mp4 and movs. Both lagging. Also, I have a midi controller linked up to trigger clips but I'm experiencing lag when I press the button on the midi controller to when the clip actually starts. I'm using Arena 6 on a macbook pro 2019 with 32gb ram. I play the same clips in VDMX and there is no lag so I'm not sure its a file size thing.

I read somewhere that it could be issues with .h264 codec which I have used in the past to render out loops. If this is the case, what would be the ideal codec to use to ensure no lag in either instance?

Thanks!

Menno
Team Resolume

Re: Reverse playback lag / trigger lag

Post by Menno »

For reverse/random playback you need to use a codec where every frame is a keyframe, for example dxv.
If you're experiencing delays on triggering you need a codec where decompressing a frame is fast, dxv aswell :)
If by 'lag' you mean the output freezing for a fraction of a second you may want to try v7 and see if that helps, there's an optimization for triggers in there which we're not able to do in v6.