Resolume 6.1.3 Not Completely Starting...

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
LightGuyCalvin
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Resolume 6.1.3 Not Completely Starting...

Post by LightGuyCalvin »

Hello,

I've been using Resolume 6.1.3 on a relatively new 2019 Razor Blade 17" laptop for about two months now. But for some reason today, the program decided to not completely start. The interface comes up but that's about it. No clips load and I can't open another composition. There is small white square in the corner where content has been assigned. The location of the content on the hard drive has not change. I even have to use FORCE QUIT to close the program. I've included a photo below.
Jfva8B5oRvOvA3sKOvBZDw.jpg
I've downloaded a new copy of the software and reinstalled it, but received the same results as above.

How do I fix this?

Thanks!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Resolume 6.1.3 Not Completely Starting...

Post by Zoltán »

Select a working audio device in the Resolume Audio preferences ;)
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

LightGuyCalvin

Post by LightGuyCalvin »

Zoltán wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 19:27 Select a working audio device in the Resolume Audio preferences ;)
Really!?!?! Who would have thought of that? Thanks Zoltán!

One would presume that Resolume would be “smart enough” to reset the preferences to the default sound device upon startup. There should be some type of notification that mentions sound preferences need to be changed to operate the program. I know Ableton does.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

With non existent devices Resolume reverts to the first one available, but with devices, like Dante Virtual sound card for example, where the device is still present, but doesn't give a proper clock, Resolume doesn't know if the click is only slow, or not coming in at all.

What kind of audio device did you use last time?
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

LightGuyCalvin

Post by LightGuyCalvin »

Zoltán wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 08:07 With non existent devices Resolume reverts to the first one available, but with devices, like Dante Virtual sound card for example, where the device is still present, but doesn't give a proper clock, Resolume doesn't know if the click is only slow, or not coming in at all.

What kind of audio device did you use last time?
Wow! It’s hard to believe such a small preference renders the software completely inoperable without some kind of warning. I was using a MOTU 4Pre audio interface via USB. One would assume Resolume selects the internal devices on the laptop if the interface isn’t present at startup. I’ve had the preference screen open, unplugged the interface and noticed the program revert to the internal devices.

So, does that mean the program “remembers” the interface is plugged in as it shuts off, but can’t “forget” that connection if that same interface is not plugged in? Sounds like a bug in the program if that is indeed the case.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

LightGuyCalvin wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 15:59 Resolume selects the internal devices on the laptop if the interface isn’t present at startup.
Yes, that's what it does, but with ASIO devices or specific ones, the device can be still present in the OS, even if you don't have it connected.

With my example, Dante DVS can lose clock on network disconnect, if in such a case Resolume would switch to a different sound card automatically, then when the network is back online, Resolume wouldn't send the audio to
where the user wanted to.
Or if you're synced to External Wordclock with your ASIO interface, and the clock is disconnected, then connected back, your Resolume would select the first available audio device.

I'll, ask our devs if Resolume can be smarter about this without breaking the functionality, meanwhile the workaround should be easy.

Another way clips can get stuck in loading like this, is when you have your clips synced to the cloud, and the files are removed from the machine to save space.
Microsoft Onedrive, and Dropbox can also do this, and they will try to sync the clips back to disk when Resolume tries to access them. This will take time, while Resolume will be hung on loading these clips.

LightGuyCalvin

Post by LightGuyCalvin »

Zoltán wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:44
LightGuyCalvin wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 15:59 Resolume selects the internal devices on the laptop if the interface isn’t present at startup.
Yes, that's what it does, but with ASIO devices or specific ones, the device can be still present in the OS, even if you don't have it connected.

I'll, ask our devs if Resolume can be smarter about this without breaking the functionality, meanwhile the workaround should be easy.

Another way clips can get stuck in loading like this, is when you have your clips synced to the cloud, and the files are removed from the machine to save space.
Microsoft Onedrive, and Dropbox can also do this, and they will try to sync the clips back to disk when Resolume tries to access them. This will take time, while Resolume will be hung on loading these clips.

Makes sense, Thanks for you help!

Glad I know about the second way this could happen too.