Effects on comp level and layer to slice routing

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Effects on comp level and layer to slice routing

Post by Grimm90 »

Ok i hope i am able to explain my issue clearly but im really quite stuck on this, hope someone can help me out here.

Most of my shows are build up on photographs from projector perspective, mapping templates or 3D models+cams of stages.
I can process my source data & render stuff so it all adds up nicely in my comp.
I build up my composition in groups, and often use routers in my comp to get data from one group into another. group 1 = backgrounds , group 2 = stage , group 3 = details ..

I can also have a final layer for FXs , with strobe effect clips , and it will show over my comp to 1 slice output. For exmaple i really like to use 'invert RGB' as a strobe here so it takes the entire composition in and invert flashes this.
Or i can put effects straight on composition level , as the slice takes 'input:composition'.

In advanced output i need 1 slice, input 'composition' , map that with 4 corners and all is good.
Also i see in advanced output the same action as the slice is outputting, inc the final strobe layer.
This is when everything for a good mapping is as it "should be".
-------------------------

The problem is , when i get a vector file with all the stage decor elements , but i cannot be certain of exact final physical placement / angle of these elements.
I use the vectors to make a composition the size of my output resolution , as close as i think the actual stage will look like , but i leave room for a bouding box around every element without overlap.

I can use this file to make custom renders for the vectors, but i will need to slice up things in advanced output so i can map them seperately, as my resolume composition 'stack', is too far from reality.

If i take composition as input for the element slices, i will also get my background into this slice, making weird double mappings.
So i make 1 slice / element , and a slice underneat for the background.
In this case ,i dont see any other way than resorting to layer/group to slice routing to make sure everything fits perfectly

For most part , this is actually quite fine, but it limits me to use my final strobe layer or any effects on composition level, as every slice gets its input directly from a group (or layer)

I can bypass my background group , and uncheck the bypass button of that slice so it shows up, this gives me the possibility to have all the elements back on input : composition, and my composition effects are effective again , but will still not work on the background slices , which is routed directly.

I've been trying for quite a while to figure out either another approach to my mapping workflow , or a trick to make this work.
The only thing i can figure out is duplicate these composition effects on every group , map them to the same button on a midi controller, but hoping there is a more elegant way ?
Attachments
Aa blanco set 1.0 .avc
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 246 times

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Effects on comp level and layer to slice routing

Post by Zoltán »

Composition effects are bypassed when you route your layers to slices directly.

I think your're looking for the Slice Transform.
https://resolume.com/support/en/transfo ... -transform
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu