Help with Timecode/Resolume Setup

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Help with Timecode/Resolume Setup

Post by pfelberg »

Hello.
I was used to timecode (forget about my age) when I used to record animation frames to Beta using a Single Frame Controller and Timecode. Oh yeah... the early 90's.

Now, fot the first time in ages, timecode is back in my life and I am about to use it with Resolume for the very first time.
The goal is to run a 90 second gig opening show with audio, video, lasers and lights on sync.

From my side, it is all about one single video with the entire show length. Someone will provide me the audio track and I am going to produce and edit the video ready on sync.

I believe there are a couple of ways to do this, so I'd like your suggestions to achieve the best result.

The way I see it, so I understood it, Resolume can simply capture the SMTP audio sent to me and trigger my video file while keeping it on sync with the timecode.
1st dumb question: Can my video file contain the audio track or should the audio track be triggered from another source like the DJ Booth?
2nd not so dumb question/situation: they want ME to send the timecode wav to everyone. In that case, what would you suggest? Would you use one audio channel to SMTP and the other to the audiotrack as I play the video?
Or, is it better to run the SMTP wav file from a second Resolume computer while keeping the video file with the audio track in the first one?
Are there other options?

Thank you!

Paulo

He2neg

Re: Help with Timecode/Resolume Setup

Post by He2neg »

The Audio for the PA should come from somewere else... ;) and mostly from there also the smpte signal comes... ( like 2 CDJ in sync ( 1 with audio / 1 with smpte))

The other setups you talk about are all possible but not so standart.

Sending both (audio & smpte) from the same laptop would only give you mono (for audio) and this shouldnt be mono in a live opening show music stuff...

You can also think about getting a timecode generator (hardware) and place this in your setup.
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

He2neg wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 08:24 The Audio for the PA should come from somewere else... ;) and mostly from there also the smpte signal comes... ( like 2 CDJ in sync ( 1 with audio / 1 with smpte))
Understood.

Just for testing.....
I generated a Wav SMTP using the site http://elteesee.pehrhovey.net/
Set framerate to 30fps.

Notebook 1 running Arena 6 was playing the Wav file.
Audio was sent to the Behringer UMC202HD and then to Notebook 2.
I set Notebook 2 to get SMTP from the Behringer Input1 with no delay and 30FPS as well.
Selected one clip and set it to run with SMPT1 as well.

Results when triggering SMTP on Notebook1:
- SMTP 1 display clock on Notebook 2 starts running;
- It doesn't seem to be running at 30fps at all. It is very, very slow and not smooth;
- Video clip on Notebook 2 was not triggered, though it seems linked to the SMTP 1.

What is wrong?
Should I use any other software than Arena to play the SMTP Wav file?

Another question concerning SMTP. Will SMTP make my video clip to keep on sync (no FPS delays) during all play or just at start?

Thank you!

Paulo

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

SMPTE doesn't trigger clips in Resolume currently natively.

If you'd like to trigger columns in Resolume via SMPTE, have a look at this one.

Does your clip play smoothly to the SMPTE when you trigger it manually?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

Zoltán wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 13:19 SMPTE doesn't trigger clips in Resolume currently natively.

If you'd like to trigger columns in Resolume via SMPTE, have a look at this one.

Does your clip play smoothly to the SMPTE when you trigger it manually?
I thought it would.
Anyway... I did try it using Arena 6 and 7.
On both, if I select my clip, it will follow timecode. Still, timecode is jerky like 1 frame per 15 seconds.
Also, on 7, I get no image in output window.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Is the timecode input in the range of the Clip Length & Offset?

Clip duration set to the same as the duration of the Video track?

Audio Aural enhancements disabled on the SMPTE source laptop?
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

Zoltán wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 15:10 Is the timecode input in the range of the Clip Length & Offset?
Clip duration set to the same as the duration of the Video track?
I created a 3 min length SMTP
The video is like 30 to 40 secs length
I realize that the image might have disappeard because It seems that I can't reset the SMTP clock in Resolume, no matter what I do in Notebook 1. Even reloading Resolume in Notebook 2 will not reset SMTP, which keeps increasing, never back to 00:00:00:00.
Course that could explain while I have no image, since SMTP is way ahead of my clip life span
Zoltán wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 15:10 Audio Aural enhancements disabled on the SMPTE source laptop?
I have no clue what you are talking about here

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

pfelberg wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 15:30 Resolume, no matter what I do in Notebook 1. Even reloading Resolume in Notebook 2 will not reset SMTP, which keeps increasing, never back to 00:00:00:00.
Course that could explain while I have no image, since SMTP is way ahead of my clip life span
Resetting the SMPTE clip to the start, Resolume should also follow that.
If the Timecode keeps playing on machine 1, restarting machine 2 won't make it go back to 00:00:00.00, SMPTE LTC is an absolute time position signal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_timecode
Zoltán wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 15:10 Audio Aural enhancements disabled on the SMPTE source laptop?
I have no clue what you are talking about here
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable- ... windows-10 also check the sound app for your sound card.

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

Zoltán wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 17:14 Resetting the SMPTE clip to the start, Resolume should also follow that.
Ok. I could make that work.
Yes.

Well I was playing the SMTP from another computer running Arena 6.
As soon as I closed Arena and just played the SMTP using a simple windows player, it seemed to start working as it should. Seems fine now. Tks