R7 - Imported comps, speed playback is off in some cases

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
DHoude
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

R7 - Imported comps, speed playback is off in some cases

Post by DHoude »

A better description here is, in R6 there were only Speed sliders Now, with R7 we have Time (duration) and Speed of that time. I think the time is sometimes incorrectly being calculated.

I imported my R6 composition into R7 and speed of animated sliders and even playback speed some clips seems to go to a default of 5 seconds. This played havoc with my animations. I didn't notice this difference at first. So I was adjusting my speed faders until things looked as right as I could make them.

Let me start out by saying, the time spec is WAY better to time some of my animations. So I love it. But, Resolume 7 is not really picking up the actual duration of some of my clips. So they are playing back at the wrong duration, which makes the playback speed wrong. In these cases, it is forcing me to find the file and look at the clip length. Then manually specify that duration of the clip in Resolume. Then I can fix the speed slider of the clip back to 1 to get normal playback speed.

Last note here. I did say only "some" of my clips had playback speed issues. Most of my issues with this "default" 5 second duration, seem to be with Persistent clips. Non persistent clips seem to have imported at actual clip duration.

DHoude

Re: R7 - Imported comps, speed playback is off in some cases

Post by DHoude »

And I move to my backup machine to grab some screen shots. This PC has my show before the fixes mentioned above. But the clip times are correct on that PC.

Something funky/intermittent is going on here. I am definitely not making up a "off speed speed" issue. I have seen it on my backup machine too. I just couldn't narrow down how it was happening. I will say the main machine is only 3 months old at this point. My backup machine was my old production one, and I saw this issue on both PCs as I have been testing R7 pretty much since June.

Perhaps it is time for a new clean comp from the beginning. But does anybody else have playback or animation speed issues on R7?

I know at times I would adjust the speed faders so a scene plays correctly. Then the next time I opened that comp and played some of the scenes, the speed would be off in a different way. While I can't reliably reproduce this still. It is as if once the speed fader is adjusted to playback the way I want, then I save the composition. It seems like the speed fader recalculates the duration time. So next time I open the show the speed fader stays the same, but the duration is different. So it plays back at a different over all speed because it is based on a different duration time.

Maybe I am going crazy, lol. But I see have seen it on two separate occasions.

Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Grimm90 »

I had similar speed issues yesterday with a imported comp from r6.

Most of my clips are playing in bpm sync, so far so good. Changing the clips back to timeline made them play at wrong speeds , while all speed dials were at default position

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Can you send us your v6 composition and some files with which this happens consistently?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Actually, the comp I sent you last week on the 9th had this issue and on the text generators. No clips required. I will host something ASAP with the logos. But it is a little more unreliable to reproduce. It seems to be after I make speed changes, then save the comp. When I open Resolume again the speeds are sometimes off. I have just not been able to nail down why they are off.

This seems to be something I had way back when I started on 7. I had another case where I was saving presets and they would come up wrong. That is when I put 7 down and waited for those fixes. Hoping it would fix this.

Old thread - https://resolume.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ues#p76518

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Ok, I finally reproduced at least part of this. After a save and close of Resolume 7. Then open Resolume 7 and the comp I just saved, and now the Duration time changed but my Speed fader stayed where I saved it. So now it is playing back at the wrong speed.

This was just the built in Test animator. You can see the animation defaulted to 5 seconds. I will just assume we have to start somewhere as duration time did not exist in R6. I only highlight this because this value with change on it's own. Note my speed fader is 1 here.
1. Test Animation Speed 5 sec.JPG
Now I change the Speed fader to 3. With the animation speed playing at the speed I like, I save the changes to my comp and close Resolume 7. Note Duration time was 5 sec
2. Change speed and save.JPG
Now, I want to open Resolume and do some more stuff. I open R7 and my comp. When I run the Text animator clip, the animation speed is super fast (not the way I saved it) because while the Speed fader is 3 (the way I saved it) the animation, duration time is now 0.509 sec.
3. Open comp after save.JPG
Why would the duration value change after I change the speed fader? Is 5 seconds, played back at 3 times the speed = 0.509 sec? The math does not work out that I can see. Personally, that duration time should never change on it's own. I have the "Before" and "After" comps that I can email.

The last point I want to make is, I think this is an issue with R6 imported comps. If I make a brand new R7 comp with nothing. Drag the same text animator into a clip slot. and do exactly what you see above, everything works as expected. The duration of the animation always stays at 5 seconds and my speed fader stays where I saved it.
Last edited by DHoude on Thu Dec 19, 2019 02:57, edited 2 times in total.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Part 2 of this, you can see two different clips in my persistent layers have a Duration time of 5 seconds, when the clips are much longer.

Keep in mind, this is an R6 comp, imported into R7. If I drag the same clips to a clip slot right next to these, it shows the right duration time and NOT 5 seconds.

this clip should be 16.633 sec duration, but you can see it imported at 5 sec
Resolume Clip speed issue.JPG
this clip should be 20.020 sec duration, but you can see it imported at 5 sec
Resolume Clip speed issue 2.JPG
Again, I can email the comps and host the clips for your testing. Please let me know your thoughts

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Comps and the two video files are zipped up and download link to them was sent to the Resolume support address.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Thanks, wrote you a mail ;)
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

dradutu
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by dradutu »

why not post the reply here so anyone with similar issues will find it?