Videos too fast from BPM sync to Timeline, autopilot, ram & stutters

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Videos too fast from BPM sync to Timeline, autopilot, ram & stutters

Post by Grimm90 »

Hi , i used resolume 7 finally for first time live yesterday , overall most went well.

1) I created my comp in R6 and opened it in R7.
Most of my clips were set to BPM Sync in R6.
For some clips i decided during the night to put them back to transport > timeline, but then their speed is way off.
The speed slider says 1, everything looks ok, speed slider in group & comp are on default 1 , but my content is playing at a wrong speed. I'll recheck the comp tomorrow but seems a bug to me.

2) I noticed i no longer can make a selection of clips and assign them auto pilot behavior by right clicking on them ? No more auto pilot in the context menu ?
Kinda disappointed in this, a big part of my workflow is to be able to quickly select a number of clips over layers & columns , assign them all "autopilot" -> next , with the last clip going back to the first of this sequence.
Having now the option to make a clip loop x amount of times is fantastic and really the one feature i've been missing to make this work perfectly.
But with the context menu auto pilot gone , it's really a pain to select every clip seperatly , assign it's autopilot behavior , not fluent at all. Please can this be back like in R6 ?

3) R7 is way heavier on ram on my machine as R6, is this all because of the undo feature ?
My R6 comp for example had tons of un used columns created with copy pasting content and moving stuff around, and i never felt like clicking each on and deleting them.
So same comp on R7 is eating my ram, but after deleting the unused columns with a click (thank u devs!!) , saving the comp & restarting arena, the same comp is a lot less ram hungry.

4) At some point during the night, i started getting these micro stutters in my output. Resolume kept displaying stable fps, on auto fps or locked on 30 or 60. All hardware components are far off their maximum, hard drives are barely in use so no clipping.
It doesn't matter if i clear all layers until im playing just 1 video or 5 blended, tried it to the bare minimum of 1 video without anything of effects, blending,..

At some point i got so annoyed by it i restarted Resolume and the issue was gone.
Any idea what can be causing this , how to fix or prevent it?
Msi laptop with Gtx1070max Q, latest win10 updates, latest nvidia studio drivers, resolume up to date.
All laptop settings to high performance (nvidia, power,..)

Not sure if i can link a facebook video but here is : video

On a sidenote, could you please consider one day of the year, you open up Resolume HQ for people to pass by and have a look at their machines and Resolume installs ? This would beat christmas so much, we could call it Resolume Rescue Day. No honestly i would drive all the way to Den Haag anytime, if i could have the lords of mount DXV once look at my laptop and make sure everything works as it should.
I'm sure we would all learn tons and who knows resolume team might also learn some things or finds some bugs.
And a bit of meet & greet with the fans never hurted anyone no :D

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Videos too fast from BPM sync to Timeline, autopilot, ram & stutters

Post by Zoltán »

1. Clips set to BPM might not play at the original speed. We try to round the clip duration/speed to a near multiple of 8 or 16 beats, so it loops nicely to the music.
When you switch back to Timeline, the clip should play at it's original speed. (if composition and group speeds are also at 1.)

2. Auto pilot controls has been moved to the Clip panel, and is available to set on a multi selection.
Képernyőfotó 2019-12-18 - 13.58.11.png
The layer also has auto pilot controls BTW, so you can set all clips in the layer quickly to play in auto pilot.

3. hard to say what's going wrong there, we haven't noticed this yet.

4. We're working on an issue where running Resolume for many hours, it can happen that the nvidia driver crashes and takes Resolume with it. I think this is what happened for you also.
We're not sure yet if this is a driver issue or something we do wrong.
If you see Resolume playback getting laggy, that's the first sign of the issue.
In this case, I'd recommend to save your work, and restart Resolume.
Grimm90 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 13:41 On a sidenote, could you please consider one day of the year, you open up Resolume HQ for people to pass by and have a look at their machines and Resolume installs ?
I believe most issues you might encounter can be solved with tips you can find on the forum or the support page. If that doesn't work out, you can always contact us via mail, and we'll try to help you.
Bringing in your machine to the office, and having you travel on your day off, is very rarely needed ;)
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

On a side note, before I forget, I've noticed when switching from Timeline to BPM back to timeline, I've had the duration of the clip go from something like 15-20 seconds down to 3-5 seconds. It happened a lot back in earlier versions of 7, but it's hit and miss now on the latest release. I don't have to do this much anymore, but when I was building my new comp for 7, I had it change clip duration a lot on every deck.

Just a FYI ;)

Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Grimm90 »

1)I'm gonna try the same again, making a r6 comp with clips on BPM sync , importing it to R7 and setting the clips back to timeline to see what happens.
What Arvol describes and also Dhoude's speed issues seem similar to my issue.

2)Having the autopilot removed from the context menu is quite a bugger for me :(
It's really a lot less efficient to make small sequences in a layer.

Try selecting 10 clips in 1 layer in R6, put them to autopilot "play next" with the context menu, click the last, "autopilot>play specifc clip" and point it to the first in that sequence.
It's fast & easy, and having the autopiloot "loop amount" option in r7 really finishes it, only now you got to set clip by clip :(

3) Import a comp from R6 with a lot of layers and especially a lot of columns (talking 100's here, pre "loop x times") . Delete all the columns lets say after 20, save , restart R7, ram usage will have dropped dramatically.

4) Sounds like thats the problem indeed, hope it get fixed soon.

Happy pixelmax resolume team!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

2.) The solution I posted above requires one less click ;)

3.) we're looking into the memory usage increase with v7. Fortunately it's not a leak.
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

p8guitar
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by p8guitar »

Grimm90 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 13:41 ...
1) I created my comp in R6 and opened it in R7.
Most of my clips were set to BPM Sync in R6.
For some clips i decided during the night to put them back to transport > timeline, but then their speed is way off.
The speed slider says 1, everything looks ok, speed slider in group & comp are on default 1 , but my content is playing at a wrong speed. I'll recheck the comp tomorrow but seems a bug to me.
I see this issue, too. I hope this bug will be solved in the near future?
When I open a composition that was created in R6 with R7 and switch a clip from transport bpm to timeline, the duration is much too short. A 103 s clip is displayed with 5 seconds duration, which makes it run very fast.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

p8guitar wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 14:28 I see this issue, too. I hope this bug will be solved in the near future?
What kind of files are you seeing this with?

p8guitar
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by p8guitar »

This is a "DXV f3.0 Normal Quality, No Alpha, 640x480, 29,97 Fps" video clip without audio.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Thanks, made a ticket for this ;)