Loss of BPM during Sync BPM mode

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
AEK
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Loss of BPM during Sync BPM mode

Post by AEK »

Bomes is a MIDI translator. Waveclock - generator BPM. He listens to music, determines its tempo and sends its BPM to the MIDI channel. These are different functional programs.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Bomes makes a midi translator, among other products. I wan't referring to the midi translator. Check out their website for their full product line. The product I was referring to is here:
https://www.bome.com/shop/bomenetpro

suzybee

Post by suzybee »

i have a question on this topic for Zoltán, as i noticed you said the midi clock should be stable. I use a LIVID CNTRL:R midi controller, connected to my musician partner via a midi cable who is sending me midi clock - and have done for years.
The midi clock signal received by Resolume (via my midi controller) has always fluctuated constantly around the midi clock value my partner is sending me. it roughly fluctuates around variations of up to 1-2 BPM around the correct BPM signal at a fast rate all the time.
I understand that by nature a midi clock signal does fluctuate so i thought it was normal. But i noticed you asking on this thread if the MIDI signal being received was stable or not, which makes me realize that it might not be normal for Resolume and that maybe my controller should actually be sending a more stable version of the midi clock it receives?

I have also recently been having the issue of the midi clock suddenly getting stuck on 500 or 20 and having to restart Resolume to resolve the issue.

I would be grateful for your input on this bug and specifically my query about the fluctuating midi clock signal as i want to know if that's an issue i need to resolve or if it's normal for it to fluctuate like that?

Thanks for your help,
Suzybee :)

dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

Do you really need fast detection for BPM. Normal is usually good enough for most cases.

2. You running Waveclock on Windows. Wavesum hasn’t made Windows software in at least 6 years, so you’re either using extremely outdated software or using a custom build of wave clock. In either case, nobody else is able to perform any testing to find the solution

3. Arena 6 and Waveclock were out around the same time so it would make sense they are more stable than 7

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

suzybee wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 13:45 The midi clock signal received by Resolume (via my midi controller) has always fluctuated constantly around the midi clock value my partner is sending me. it roughly fluctuates around variations of up to 1-2 BPM around the correct BPM signal at a fast rate all the time.
I understand that by nature a midi clock signal does fluctuate so i thought it was normal. But i noticed you asking on this thread if the MIDI signal being received was stable or not, which makes me realize that it might not be normal for Resolume and that maybe my controller should actually be sending a more stable version of the midi clock it receives?

I have also recently been having the issue of the midi clock suddenly getting stuck on 500 or 20 and having to restart Resolume to resolve the issue.
Resolume calculates the midi clock BPM counting the tie, between the clock messages. any delay in the messages, or processing the messages will throw the timing off a bit. You see this as a 1-2 BPM fluctuation.

The BPM getting stuck to 20 or 500 should not happen. If you have a setup where this happens every time, please share it with us, so we can try to recreate and fix it ;)

If you have the option to choose Ableton link instead, I'd recommend that over midi clock any time.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

suzybee

Post by suzybee »

hey Zoltan,
thanks for your reply!

it's useful to know the fluctuation with midi clock is not unusual and that you recommend Ableton link. We do use Ableton link sometimes, and it does feel much more stable.

I would also like to know if there's any way (or could be an option added) to make sure if i'm linked to my musician partner (via Ableton Link) that i can't change the BPM when link is on. i want to make sure i don't accidentally change the BPM while we're playing as this would cause serious problems for the music. It would be good if i had the option to disable the Resolume BPM adjustment settings when link is on. Is that possible?

The 500 and 20 midi clock crash doesn't happen every time. i'll check it out some more...

Cheers!
Suzy :)

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

suzybee wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 01:11 I would also like to know if there's any way (or could be an option added) to make sure if i'm linked to my musician partner (via Ableton Link) that i can't change the BPM when link is on.
The design of Link allows each participants to be equal in a Link, but I could imagine, this could be an option in Resolume.

I'd recommend removing your BPM shortcuts if you're worried hitting them by accident.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

suzybee

Post by suzybee »

Hi Zoltan,
thanks, it would be really cool if Resolume could do that -make it possible for me to disable my ability to change the BPM when Linked via Ableton Link. (but control it again if i un-link)...
I don't have any shortcuts assigned to the BPM, i was just worried i might accidentally click a button when i'm changing decks or clips or generally moving my mouse over the interface. I have set up keyboard shortcuts for my decks to avoid going too close to the BPM functions.
My musician partner uses both modular synths and ableton, and if i accidentally changed the BPM during a gig it would cause all the music to go out of sync which would be a nightmare scenario!
I wonder if this might be the case for other vjs too?
Thanks for your help and support,
it's much appreciated!!! :)
Suzybee :)