Basic DMX output

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
SHP
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Basic DMX output

Post by SHP »

Hello

I'm new to resolume so hope this isn't too much of a stupid question but I've been bashing my head against a wall all day and still can't find the solution to it!

I'm using DMX to send a triggers to LED costumes and props and I would now like to integrate video into these shows and hoping resolume is the answer. So I would like that each time a clip is triggered a new DMX value to be sent out. i.e. at 0 sec it plays clip 1 and send out 1 on DMX channel 1 at 30secs it plays the second clip and send out 2 on DMX channel 1...

So far the video clips are playing fine and I've set up the DMX costume trigger in the fixtures and I think I've added it to a clip via the slices menu (although I'm not sure about this last step) but I can't find a way to adjust the DMX values to this channel.

Any help on this would be gratefully appreciated!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Basic DMX output

Post by Zoltán »

Try using L type fixture with Gamma set to 1, from a White / Grey solid color clip on a layer.
Then you can set the DMX output value, by changing the color channels to the value you want.

Somehow like this:
Képernyőfotó 2020-01-30 - 12.39.55.png
Once set up, all you need to do is launch your different solid color clips.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

SHP

Post by SHP »

Thank you. I did indeed come up with a solution (pretty close to this). It does feel like a bit of a hack, it'd be nice if you could just have some sliders for manual DMX control but if it works it works!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

SHP wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 16:53 Thank you. I did indeed come up with a solution (pretty close to this). It does feel like a bit of a hack, it'd be nice if you could just have some sliders for manual DMX control but if it works it works!
We have a ticket to make this easier ;)
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

SHP

Post by SHP »

So instead of using a solid colour I copied the video clip and put effect on it to make it the desired colour (this means I can play and pause both tracks at the same time which didn't seem to work with the solid colour clips)

The next problem seems to be, that every time it jumps to the next clip the the DMX track drops exactly 1 frame. (See Video: https://youtu.be/5qpRhmxgYbw )

So I can go though and reduce all the DMX clips by 1 frame which seems to work but this is even more of a hack! Any ideas way this is happening or better ways to solve it?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

What was wrong with the solid color clips in the same column?
Once you launch another column, they will switch anyways.

SHP

Post by SHP »

The Layer transport controls doesn't seem to work with solid colour clips (I presume as they are not video?)

I did, in the end get this working, when I realised the DMX clips were not identical to the video clips in length but had been set to the same duration using the clip control window (I'm guessing this is some sort of rounding error). When I recopied all the clips and put the tint effect on them (to turn to the correct trigger colour) it all started matching up again!

Cheers