Output issue with Blackmagic ultrastudio 4K Extreme

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Output issue with Blackmagic ultrastudio 4K Extreme

Post by Zoltán »

Well, OSX quickview /Finder, and Final cut pro show the two sample files with different colors for me. Also different from each other and Resolume. Hard to say what is original colors.

Try making the screenshot in the program you'll be using for the playback. PNG made in Resolume from the prores footage looks the same for me as the footage.

Even better, make a duplicate of your clip and have it paused on the specific frame.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

On my MBP16 running 10.15.4, the two files look identical in Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, Madmapper and Mitti but they look different in OSX QuickView/Finder, Arena and Millumin.

krisf
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by krisf »

Oaktown wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 14:58 On my MBP16 running 10.15.4, the two files look identical in Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, Madmapper and Mitti but they look different in OSX QuickView/Finder, Arena and Millumin.
Thanks for testing the two files in all these applications. I've done some tests with color bars to analyse the image on scopes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the output color range causes the difference:

YUV Output: Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, Madmapper, Mitti and Softon On the air video.
RGB output: OSX QuickView/Finder, Arena and Millumin.

Does Arena support YUV output through a Blackmagic card?

krisf
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by krisf »

Could someone figure out if there's an issue with the conversion from RGB to Rec. 709 color space?
This conversion is done by Arena and not by the Blackmagic Ultrastudio.

Thanks.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

krisf wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:57 Could someone figure out if there's an issue with the conversion from RGB to Rec. 709 color space?
This conversion is indeed done by Arena, we don't know of any issues with it.
Arena outputs to the card in YUV, processes in RGBA.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu