FAST CUE of Multiple Clips in exact sync

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Film35HD
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

FAST CUE of Multiple Clips in exact sync

Post by Film35HD »

Hello Resolume friends, from Hollywood.

I have multiple clips that are H264 Quicktime compressed .mov files. The clips are all in perfect, frame-accurate sync.

The other night, I had an emergency and had to stop the news clips (this was not a DJ/music situation, but showing multiple news feeds simultaneously recorded last week). It is important that all clips rolled at the exact hour, minute, second and frame AS THEY WENT ON-THE-AIR and were recorded as "Airchecks."

After stopping for the executive to point a mistake out, I was asked to move forward about 10 minutes. Since I am new to Arena, I had to cue each of the 3 clips one at a time, and I couldn't find an EASY way to just type in a SMPTE time code or a timeline cue point, and have that CUE ALL THREE SEPARATE layers clips to the same point, and just click ONE "Play" button to have them all start in sync, simultaneously. I ended up fidgeting with the mouse to move the time line to get it close, then trying to type in a cue number, and doing that 3 times, one-at-a-time. I made typo mistakes, so it took about 45 seconds for me to resume, and the presenter was not happy with the delay.

If you look at the attachment for a competing product, Pro Video Server (2 screen grabs), I can set the program up to "Link to Channel 1" and then scrub the timeline ANYWHERE or type in a TIME CODE, then hit ONE button: "SYNC" and all channels are within 1-frame of the lead Channel 1 - then hit PLAY. This can be done in less than 5 seconds!

Is there a simple, magic way to do this so I can get things back up on the screens and playing when I am stopped? There are more of these presentations coming up soon.

Thank you for your knowledge and valuable time!

Stay safe and take care of you and your loved ones,
-Jon
Attachments
Preferences SET-UP Menu – All 3 channels set to follow Ch. 1 with the "LINK" selection.
Preferences SET-UP Menu – All 3 channels set to follow Ch. 1 with the "LINK" selection.
Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 12.19.19 AM.png (26.93 KiB) Viewed 8943 times
The 3 channels, with Ch. 1 as the "lead master" for Channels 2 and 3 to "follow." Sliding the timeline or entering a start timecode and pressing the "SYNC" button (only on Ch. 1 on the far left) cues all other channels, and pressing PLAY to the right of SYNC (in the yellow-border box) plays everything exactly in sync.
The 3 channels, with Ch. 1 as the "lead master" for Channels 2 and 3 to "follow." Sliding the timeline or entering a start timecode and pressing the "SYNC" button (only on Ch. 1 on the far left) cues all other channels, and pressing PLAY to the right of SYNC (in the yellow-border box) plays everything exactly in sync.

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: FAST CUE of Multiple Clips in exact sync

Post by He2neg »

Mhm... hard cahllenge on the fly to skip.

My thoughts will go in the direcction to use collom triggers to play multiple clips at the same time.
If i need a different start its maybe a solution to dublicate the collom and adjust the start points of the clips.

Also you can take a look inside the bpm transport and set the bpm to 60. then you can use the bpm transport features as well and they may help you...

i need to think a bit more and i may have some more to say ;)
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

Film35HD

Post by Film35HD »

Thank you, He2neg !

Yes, that is a solution, but still it takes too much time. Going in the upper area's menu and moving just a small amount on the mouse moves the clips way to FAST, so I am constantly scrubbing little to the left, then to the right, then back to the left because I went too far.

Maybe the programmers can have a window open and I just type in on the numeric keys: 1;15;20;00 and hit <ENTER> and BOOM! – everything lines up to that cue point and I hit "Play." It would be under 5 seconds!

We do that in LIVE news and sports broadcasting – everything is a quick, one or two button and GO on-the-air – we don't have a second to waste in a control room or TV OB truck (Outside Broadcast).

Film35HD

Post by Film35HD »

Maybe the genius/guru "Master Grasshopper" Zoltán can find a way or write some code to make this happen? I can only dream. ;)

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

Film35HD wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 09:13 Thank you, He2neg !

Yes, that is a solution, but still it takes too much time. Going in the upper area's menu and moving just a small amount on the mouse moves the clips way to FAST, so I am constantly scrubbing little to the left, then to the right, then back to the left because I went too far.

Maybe the programmers can have a window open and I just type in on the numeric keys: 1;15;20;00 and hit <ENTER> and BOOM! – everything lines up to that cue point and I hit "Play." It would be under 5 seconds!

We do that in LIVE news and sports broadcasting – everything is a quick, one or two button and GO on-the-air – we don't have a second to waste in a control room or TV OB truck (Outside Broadcast).
What are you scrubing around exactly?

You can typ in values for starting point and stuff...
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

Film35HD

Post by Film35HD »

In the most-top window, the slide scrub bar (yellow circled in the attached pic).

I know you can enter numbers in the lower panel, but I have to do each layer one-by-one. Why can't someone write some code for me to enter the numbers like: 1;15;20;00 and hit enter and ALL layers/clips all sync to that, then I press "Play."
Scrub bar in TOP-MOST window, upper-left.
Scrub bar in TOP-MOST window, upper-left.

Film35HD

Post by Film35HD »

I know I can hit the start mark (small triangle) in the CLIP menu and type in a number, but it would be great if in the COMPOSITION window II could type in a number and ALL LAYERS' clips all go to that CUE POINT instantly, then I can hit Play. Can the software be modified to do something like that?

It would also be useful to enter the numbers in standard SMPTE Time Code format: HH:MM:SS:FF and not the xx.xx.xxx default time counter format.
Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 4.03.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 4.03.51 AM.png (17.56 KiB) Viewed 8905 times
He2neg wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:04
Film35HD wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 09:13 Thank you, He2neg !
What are you scrubing around exactly?

You can typ in values for starting point and stuff...

Film35HD

Post by Film35HD »

You can even make it easier and have any TIME CODE punch-in default to :00 frames (for Non-Drop Frame) or ;02 (for Drop-Frame), so the user doesn't have to punch that in, and only enter Hours, Minutes, Seconds, saving 2 more digits from being entered. The <ENTER> key on the right numeric keypad would then accept the entry and force all clips in all layers to go to that SYNC point. Then in the top COMPOSITION window, a user just hits the triangle 'PLAY' button to activate playback.

:)

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

If the footages are the same length, I'd map the same keyboard key to the Layer position sliders (you highlighted above), and set the shortcuts to mouse mode. https://resolume.com/support/en/keyboar ... mouse-mode
Then when you hold the key, you can scrub all clips at once, together by moving the mouse.

Unfortunately there is an issue with scrubbing audio clips this way in version 7. We're working on that.
You can get around it kinda by pausing all clips with the composition direction controls, ejecting the clips then launching them again, and hitting play on the composition.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Film35HD

Post by Film35HD »

Thank you again Zoltan – you've helped me twice now. I owe you a beer or lunch.

What are the chances that I could pay you to make a modification or patch (which you could also release to others) where a timecode could be punched-in, <ENTER> pressed on the numeric keyboard, and then *ALL* clips CUE to that point? And again, I would rather enter a timecode in HH:MM:SS than the Resolume xx:xx:xxx if at all possible.

Can this be done by May 31st?

Download the free trail of ProVideoServer and see how they do it (I reference them at the top of my post).

https://renewedvision.com/provideoserver/