preview monitor shows mirror effect differently

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
p8guitar
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

preview monitor shows mirror effect differently

Post by p8guitar »

I wonder why the preview monitor shows the mirror effect differently than the output monitor (see screenshot). Is this a bug, or is there a logical explanation?
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsNedAPvuG2thQaY2CS ... D?e=QgCUdR
Arena 7.2.1; Ableton Live 10.1.18 controlling Arena with OSC; Schenker W507 mobile Workstation: i7-6700 CPU @ 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 2x m.2 Samsung SSD 960 EVO NVMe, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5.

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: preview monitor shows mirror effect differently

Post by He2neg »

The mirror is on clip lvl (do I see this right) and the clip is smaller then your composition.....

sooo do your layyer maybe (auto)-scale the clip to comp resolution?

What i want to say there are several steps were some scaling / changing the clip can happen after the clip lvl.. or two... layer & comp....

so when you want to test it take a clean comp and put the clip with effect inside and then take a look.

but still my guess is a layer scaling happening
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

p8guitar
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by p8guitar »

Yes, the layer is on clip level.
Hmm... the layer is set to the size of the monitor: 1920x1080 (16:9), with autosize = fit. the content has a 3/4 aspect ratio, size is 640x480. So the clip is scaled to the height of the layer. Apparently the scaling is done before the mirror effect is applied?

Even more confusing: When I move the transform effect (with neutral setting: scale = 100%) after the clip, the preview and the output match. ?!?
Maybe as a rule of thumb, it might be the best to place the transform effect after mirror (or flip, or vignette)?
Transform before mirror.jpg
transform after mirror.jpg

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Before Clip Transform the effects are applied to a 640x480 texture in this case.

After Clip Transform, you have a texture which is the size of your layer 1920x1080, and the effects are applied to this texture. This texture has a 640x480 sized opaque part in the middle, where you see the clip, the rest is transparent, applying a mirror to this texture, you also see the transparent parts mirrored.

Now, with layer sizing set to fill, you override the original clip texture size. I think the clip preview doesn't know this, as it's rendered separately, and that's why you see the difference in the effect after Transform.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu