Loop in-out points reset after "Relocate"

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
TerryP1951
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Loop in-out points reset after "Relocate"

Post by TerryP1951 »

I'm working on a composition and video clips sent by a friend. He's looped all the clips, and wants me to record Resolume's output of each clip (with Resolume effects) onto a Blackmagic Video Assist. He then edits my recordings in Final Cut.

He's running Avenue 6.1.5 on Mac, I'm running Arena 6.1.5 on Windows.

I download the clips and the composition into the same directory.
I open his composition and have to Relocate the clips (unsurprisingly).

All clips then load but I see only sound waveforms, not video, in the columns.
I convert the clips in Alley, putting them in a subdirectory, redownload the composition into that subdirectory for a clean start.

If the clips are converted in Alley with sound, each clip's In and Out points are reset when I Relocate. This spoils the synchronisation with the dynamic effects. If clips are converted without sound the loop points are retained. Sound is needed to re-sync the clips in FCP.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Loop in-out points reset after "Relocate"

Post by Zoltán »

What I think goes wrong in your case, is that the converted files have different audio track length for some reason.

What's the file format your friend uses?

Have you tried loading the original content, and then adding the video tracks to the clips which loaded the audio only instead of relocating?
You can add/replace a track in a clip by selecting the clip and dropping the video only file to the clip.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

TerryP1951
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by TerryP1951 »

Great! Thanks Zoltán.

Indeed there are very slight differences in converted durations . See attached MediaInfo zip, containing before and after details of file format and durations.

Your suggestion works perfectly and is great as a workaround, although vulnerable to errors if the wrong video clip chosen. It will be good to have a fix to the Alley conversion.

It's disappointing that a 1ms change is enough to justify resetting the loop points - especially without warning. The threshold seems far too low.
Attachments
MediaInfo before & after conversion.zip
Slight difference in durations
(1.74 KiB) Downloaded 294 times

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

TerryP1951 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 14:36 It's disappointing that a 1ms change is enough to justify resetting the loop points - especially without warning. The threshold seems far too low.
I don't think there is any threshold, but maybe we can do something about that.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu