Direct output capture in OBS?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
p8guitar
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Direct output capture in OBS?

Post by p8guitar »

Is it possible to choose a virtual output as a source in OBS? I created a virtual output screen in Resolume, but I cannot find it in OBS.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Direct output capture in OBS?

Post by Arvol »

If you're using a display then try a display capture.

Otherwise use this:
https://github.com/Off-World-Live/obs-s ... s/tag/v0.4
and turn on Spout output

or as a last resort use this:
https://github.com/Palakis/obs-ndi/releases/tag/4.9.1
and you might need to install a virtual loopback adapter to keep your stream stable if you're on a spotty network on-site or something

What are you trying to do? just record? If so, then I'd recommend just recording direct through Resolume. If this is to send out via RTMP then use the solutions mentioned above.

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar »

Hi Arvol,

I want to record the output of resolume to make a music video of a band. Using Resolume's record function I see that the recorded file runs too fast. After 5 minutes is is already about 670 ms ahead!
https://resolume.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 739#p80739

Today I had some success recording the output with OBS via NDI, it was recorded with the right 4:3 aspect ration. but I don't know what settings would be the best for recording, for example the base (canvas) resolution and the output (scaled) resolution are both tied to 16:9?

The original file is 1440x1080 size. the only thing I need to do is record the output, add an audio track that contains the mastered audio and remove the audio track that comes from resolume. I hope I can do this with lightworks, but maybe the only software that allows me to edit 1440x1080 size movies is quicktime, so I will have to do the edits on the macbook.

I'm afraid 4:3 aspect ratio is very uncommon, I already spend several days searching for editing software which will allow this. But all the content I have is 4:3, this is much better for a stage when the band plays than 16:9.
Arena 7.2.1; Ableton Live 10.1.18 controlling Arena with OSC; Schenker W507 mobile Workstation: i7-6700 CPU @ 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 2x m.2 Samsung SSD 960 EVO NVMe, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

I would use spout over ndi everyday of the week. no latency and less work your system has to do as it's direct memory sharing vs encoding and decoding on top of your resolume and obs running.

Maybe setup your obs to match resolumes canvas size, and then do a crop when editing audio in post then just render it all out as a 4:3?

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar »

Thanks for the hint to use Spout! I recorded some seconds of the Resolume compositon with spout into OBS for testing and it works very well, nice! And it is possible to change the base canvas to 1440x1080 4:3 by just typing in the numbers... first I thought you must choose a size and aspect ration from the drop down menu.
I think I will try to add the mastered audio track to the Resolume composition in an additional layer and check if the video stays in sync with the audio. If this works, then all I have to do is record the composition in OBS and cut the beginning and end of the video in post production. :D

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

p8guitar wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:48 Is it possible to choose a virtual output as a source in OBS? I created a virtual output screen in Resolume, but I cannot find it in OBS.
Yes, you just need the ndi plugin for obs.
https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/ ... tudio.528/

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar »

Arvol wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 15:19 I would use spout over ndi everyday of the week. no latency and less work your system has to do as it's direct memory sharing vs encoding and decoding on top of your resolume and obs running.

Maybe setup your obs to match resolumes canvas size, and then do a crop when editing audio in post then just render it all out as a 4:3?
When I record the output from Resolume to OBS Studio using "Spout 2 capture" as a source, only video but no audio is recorded. Doesn't Spout route the audio signal, only video?

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Spout is a direct memory texture share from your GPU, it does not do audio. Resolume does not output audio via NDI either. So I would still use Spout over NDI as it's faster, less strain on your system, and less latency. It's a win,win,win ;)

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar »

Ok, then my idea to add the mastered audio already in the Resolume composition was not very clever... ;-)

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

You can do an audio capture via obs, so it should still work out all the same, just a different way of getting it into obs is all