Settings for recording with OBS Studio

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
p8guitar
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Settings for recording with OBS Studio

Post by p8guitar »

Are there recommended settings for recording high quality videos in OBS studio?

I'm recording a Resolume composition via Spout to OBS. On the one hand, the quality should be high, because the video shall be used as a music video for youtube. On the other hand the recording quality should match the quality that is sent by Resolume. It doesn't make sense to record more information than is being sent.

For example what are the color format, color space and color range of Resolume's output - are they defined by Resolume, by the OS (Windows 10 here), or by the content (videos made with iphone 6, and Resolume's generative sources)? should I use NV12 color format for recording, or RGB? Should I use the "stream encoder", the "NVIDIA NVENCH H.2.64" (I've got a nvidia graphics card) or "x.264"? I find this quite confusing, because I have little knowledge about color format, encoders and so on. :?
Arena 7.2.1; Ableton Live 10.1.18 controlling Arena with OSC; Schenker W507 mobile Workstation: i7-6700 CPU @ 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 2x m.2 Samsung SSD 960 EVO NVMe, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Settings for recording with OBS Studio

Post by Arvol »

p8guitar
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Settings for recording with OBS Studio

Post by p8guitar »

wow, this guy talks really fast, I had to slow down the video to 75% :shock: :D

I still wonder for example what the color format of the resolume output is, and what color format is reasonable to record to so that the input and output match.