MIDI Clock Jumping to 20 or 500 BPM

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
tawm
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

MIDI Clock Jumping to 20 or 500 BPM

Post by tawm »

I've got Traktor outputting MIDI Clock to Bome Network which is then piping that to Resolume.

Immediately after the clock signal is sent, the BPM in Resolume closely matches the BPM in Traktor (with the expected MIDI fluctuation), but after about 10 seconds the Resolume BPM will snap to either 20 or 500 BPM and stay there. This behavior has been consistent regardless of what I've attempted to fiddle with.

Unfortunately Abelton Link is a no-go here, as it forces me to use sync in Traktor, so I am curious if there is anything I can do to get MIDI clock to work?

Thanks!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: MIDI Clock Jumping to 20 or 500 BPM

Post by Zoltán »

Indeed midi clock seems to break the tempo easily, especially if things go out of range because of delayed midi packets. This can happen easily on a networked midi session.

Midi clock won't provide BPM sync anyways. There will always be some drift.
Ableton link can keep the tempo grid synced across machines.
If you start the link on Traktor first, then all new participants would sync to the Traktor beats.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

tawm

Post by tawm »

Thanks for the reply, Zoltán! Sounds like this may be more of an inherent issue with MIDI clock or the specific MIDI clock sync implementation in Resolume, not some quirky bug or a setting I can adjust.

Given your feedback, I may try to run some lightweight/free app (Ableton Lite?) that supports Link on one of the PCs, have that sync with Traktor via MIDI, then pass the tempo via Ableton Link to Resolume.

Will give that a shot and circle back here with the results =)

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

What goes wrong if you try Ableton link directly from Traktor to Resolume?
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

tawm

Post by tawm »

Nothing goes wrong, Traktor and Resolume link just fine. The issue is with the Traktor implementation of Link - it requires you to sync your track decks with the master tempo clock. This means that in order to shift the tempo up or down I wouldn't be able to use pitch faders on each deck, I would have to adjust the master tempo.

This also means I would be forced to play with sync on all decks, which is not my preference.

The direct Link sync for Traktor would/will work great for a set I want to keep at a single BPM, but won't work when I need to move around BPMs. Since I could just manually set the BPM in Resolume, I am really looking for a solution that allows me to move around BPM while keeping things in sync.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Hmmm, yeah, I don't really know Traktor this well.

In Link, Resolume would follow the tempo change.

With midi clock, you'd only get an estimate of the BPM clock to Resolume, that won't keep anything else in sync. Beat snap will also not match the beats in Traktor.

We have a ticket for the 20-500 issue, but don't know when we'll be able to fix it.

tawm

Post by tawm »

Thanks for the info and support, Zoltán!!

You're awesome; I appreciate the help!

hyphonetics

Post by hyphonetics »

Zoltán wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 14:18 Hmmm, yeah, I don't really know Traktor this well.

In Link, Resolume would follow the tempo change.

With midi clock, you'd only get an estimate of the BPM clock to Resolume, that won't keep anything else in sync. Beat snap will also not match the beats in Traktor.

We have a ticket for the 20-500 issue, but don't know when we'll be able to fix it.
Has there been any progress with this issue? I started experiencing the same problem today as well.
My main reason for not using Link is that it treats the Link tempo as Master in Traktor, where I want the Traktor Master tempo to follow the Deck tempo, which I have not found to be possible with Link enabled.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Has there been any progress with this issue?
Not yet, sorry.
I want the Traktor Master tempo to follow the Deck tempo, which I have not found to be possible with Link enabled.
Traktor should be able to follow Link Tempo changes, there should be no Master in Link, every participant should be equal.

hyphonetics

Post by hyphonetics »

Zoltán wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:18 Traktor should be able to follow Link Tempo changes, there should be no Master in Link, every participant should be equal.
That's exactly why I *don't* want to use Link, I'd like to have a dedicated Leader and have everything else follow, instead of it all being synced to Link. That's mostly due to performance workflow in Traktor which makes it more difficult to change tempo in Traktor while performing with Link enabled