Playback Stutters sometimes

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
massta
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Playback Stutters sometimes

Post by massta »

Hmm, did this fix everyone's issue? I'm getting stuttering when trying to run at Composition at 60fps, displays at 60Hz.

Maybe I should try an older version of Resolume? What is working for everyone? Maybe I go back to Version 6 but there are no "groups" in version 6 and I would need to remake the composition and triggers coming from another computer.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: I have this thing with A7....

Post by Zoltán »

Do you also get a crash, or only stutters?
Are you using DXV clips?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

massta

Re: I have this thing with A7....

Post by massta »

Using DXV clips. Does not crash. Sometimes it will play smooth for quite a while but when it first stutters, it will continue to randomly stutter.

Layer 1: 3746x1200, single 40GB clip on loop
Layer 2: 1200x1920 single 24GB clip on loop
Layer 3: 1200x1920 single 22GB clip on loop

NVMe M.2 EVO 970 SSD
Nvidia Quadro P5000
i7 3.6Ghz 8C

There is mesh warping going on and I have 5 slices. But there is no blending of the layers or effects.
Runs at 42fps with Monitor View open. It sometimes jumps to 35fps.
Outputs are 3840x2400 (Fx4) and 1920x1200 (projector), 1920x1080 (KVM)

Thanks for your help!
Last edited by massta on Wed Feb 10, 2021 23:58, edited 1 time in total.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Playback Stutters sometimes

Post by Zoltán »

Ok, sounds like a different issue then, moved to separate topic.
Are we also contact about this via email?
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

massta

Post by massta »

Zoltán wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 14:41 Ok, sounds like a different issue then, moved to separate topic.
Are we also contact about this via email?
Yes.
I made a correction to Layer 1 resolution above. If you think this is separate, then we can move it off this thread.

massta

Post by massta »

Stutter free which I’m surprised because it did stutter with the new GPU (Quadro P5000) at first. According to benchmarks, the Quadro RTX4000(card pulled) should of run faster.

I ran Resolume at 50fps (50Hz displays) for a day then switched back to 60fps (60Hz displays) and its been smooth since.

massta

Post by massta »

For the record, I found video stuttering again. It's more of a pause from 0.5-1s long. Once it happens, it keeps happening about every 5s. I saved a log then removed all the audio clips. Still stuttered. Played smooth on a PC restart but came back later in the day. :(

I've resorted Resolume to 30fps while keeping all the displays at 60Hz. Not butter smooth and I still need to see if this solved my stutter/freeze issue. Can be seen here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yoUd8K ... sp=sharing

Other things to try:
1) remove the KVM, attached a different monitor
2) watch SSD performance in Task Manager when stuttering is happening (not sure how to capture this).

When looking at the
Disk read speeds seem to bounce around a lot. 190-285 mb/s, then spike between 0 and 524 kb/s.
This should be peanuts for this SSD, I'm reading the Samsung 970 Pro can read 3500 mb/s! Going to run a speed test on this drive so I know it can reach much higher. EDIT: testing came in around 2400 mb/s

If not the GPU, SSD, CPU is running at 10%, what gives?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

All usage statistics are an average over some time, so you could have a 100% peak and then idle, and it would show as 50% usage.

If it works for a while then starts to happen, a background thread could be causing it.
Is the machine connected to the Internet? Maybe windows is trying to do updates?

massta

Post by massta »

The computer is connected online. We need for the sake of TeamViewer. Windows updates is turned off and I've gone into the registry and turned off all notifications related.

You mentioned trying turning off DMA Textures. I believe I tried that before but will again.
I'm not sure if this would help, but maybe I should of configured the SSDs differently. The nVME is the main OS and stored video files. I also have a Raid 1 used for backup storage. Should I have placed the OS on the Raid?

massta

Post by massta »

I was going over some settings today and found two surprises:

1) Windows Update was still on in the registry. It only checks every 4hrs but is now off.

2) The computer Power Plan was back on "Balanced". Weird because its one of the first things I set. It must be resetting either during an update or GPU swap.

Everything else is sticking including GPU Texture Filtering Quality: High Quality

One thing I haven't done is stare at the stuttering while looking at my task processes. I've set up a keyboard, monitor and mouse on a cart so I can wheel it in front of the projection next time this happens. Hoping to catch a Task Manager/Processes during a stutter.