4k mov files causes crash on pc

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
jeffhtg2
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

4k mov files causes crash on pc

Post by jeffhtg2 »

Trying to take mkv files into dxv eventually...

tried using obs to turn them into mp4's
then i bought winx hd - i assumed turning them into movs would be the logical step
both alley and resolume crash when i try to load the clip

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: 4k mov files causes crash on pc

Post by Zoltán »

Could you please use the crash reporter dialog that pops up after the crash to submit a crash report?
That way we get lot more detailed information about what went wrong exactly.
Don't forget to fill out your email address, so we know it came from you ;)

Thanks!
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

jeffhtg2
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by jeffhtg2 »

Zoltán wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:51 Could you please use the crash reporter dialog that pops up after the crash to submit a crash report?
That way we get lot more detailed information about what went wrong exactly.
Don't forget to fill out your email address, so we know it came from you ;)

Thanks!
I sent in the crash file to support@resolume.com - that computer is not and will not be connected to the internet.

I spent most of yesterday trying different approaches to convert the files. Finally what worked (with some guidance from the facebook page) was to use handbrake to convert the files to MOV first and then adobe media encoder to turn them into DXV3's. This two step approach really takes time and a lot of space for larger 4k files tho.

I don't understand what breaks the mp4 / mov's that i converted. I stripped audio, there didn't seem to be any other content that would break it. Anywho that is the workaround for now.. would be nice if Resolumes converter worked better for this kind of stuff as that is an increasingly popular file format.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Well, without the crash log, it's really hard to say what goes wrong. There should be an option in the crash reporter to bundle a zip, and send it to us manually via mail.

If you can send us the file you see this with, we could try to recreate. If it fails for us too, we can look into a fix. If it's small enough to attach you can send it directly to mail@resolume.com.

Generally, Resolume and Alley should be able to play what your OS can play natively. Windows movies and TV, and OSX quicklook would be the native viewers.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu