How to get NDI to work well with Resolume?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
DaleReindeer
Is taking Resolume on a second date

How to get NDI to work well with Resolume?

Post by DaleReindeer »

I feel NDI *could* be the future. I am trying to get it to work with Resolume and am having issues. Therefore I would like to reach out and see what we can do!

I have recorded the first issue where I cannot dim the video at all. Please see here: https://youtu.be/ycVYRJID52M

As you can see there is some issue when dimming the video. It shows it correctly on the screen but does not show it on the projector through NDI.

Is this common to have errors with NDI? Or, am I a total newb that doesn't have some arcane checkbox selected somewhere deep in preferences?

In any case I would love to solve this one so we can document and fox the issue and move onto the new one!

Thank you for any help or tips!

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: How to get NDI to work well with Resolume?

Post by Arvol »

Thanks for the video, that's super helpful.

I'm not having any issues on my end using NDI Studio Monitor, so it looks like it's a hardware issue. Here's a video of it working for me:

phpBB [video]

DaleReindeer
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by DaleReindeer »

Thanks for taking the time to make that video! I will test with that monitor.

When it comes to hardware to convert that NDI to another (like HDMI) do you have any experience there or any tips?

These Magewell devices are $400 a pop so I figure they should actually work haha. Maybe I should try Bird Dog?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Maybe the device is unable to process the alpha channel. To check this quickly, try the Solid color effect on the Composition, with Show image enabled, and color set to black.
That should work to fool the NDI converter.
Attachments
Képernyőfotó 2021-04-08 - 0.15.51.png
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

fiverecords
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by fiverecords »

Hi, sorry to revive this thread, but I have a similar problem. In my case I use the NDI monitor application on an apple TV to receive NDI. The problem is similar, it does not process the alpha channel well and I have artifacts in the background when the video has a transparent background. The temporary solution, as stated here, is to reproduce a black background on a layer below. That works fine for the opacity of the layer, however it doesn't work for the overall master, which still does the opacity wrong, I guess because it mixes it with the alpha channel. In an old version of Arena 6 I didn't have this problem, so I guess at some point something changed in the NDI output. I understand why the NDI output has an alpha channel, but is there a way to disable it? Maybe an option to turn it on or off when you need it and to improve compatibility with devices that don't render the alpha channel well? Thanks

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Use the advanced output, and check the Black BG in the slice options.
https://resolume.com/support/en/output- ... n#black-bg
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

fiverecords

Post by fiverecords »

thanks, but that only partially fixes the problem, now I don't need to play the black solid in the background for the layer opacity to work, but the overall opacity of the composition still works badly

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

This is an issue with your NDI client not handling the alpha properly.

You'd need to send the NDI from the Advanced output Screen for the black BG work with a faded composition master.

blurecords

Post by blurecords »

Hie, I have same issue.

Scenario 1:
NDI output —> converter Magewell NDI to HDMI 4K. I need check option “alpha is black”. This setting works fine, too with master composition.

Scenario 2:
NDI output —> converter Magewell NDI to HDMI 1080p. The “alpha is black” option isn’t avaliable and not works fine.

I think that magewell needs upgrade this device while supports behavior of alpha as black. I’ll change to my partner converter to 4k.

Any solution???

Thanks

heena@impact

Post by heena@impact »

Hi,

I have a video stream on NDI. How can I connect that with Resolume. Also, how can I get the message or webhook notification from Resolume when it is playing my NDI stream.

Is the above possible?