Timeline BPM out of sync with effects BPM?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
subset
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Timeline BPM out of sync with effects BPM?

Post by subset »

Hi there!

I'm 100% sure Resolume supports this... but I've had a lot of trouble making sure that my clip playhead is in sync with BPM-synced effects.

When I play a clip with random playback, and set the interval to the same as random playback effects, they are not in sync. (See how the playheads don't move at the same time here.)

resolume sync2.gif

There is a setting called 'start settings' on each effect parameter, where there are two options – 'clip trigger' and 'BPM phase lock'. That sounds very promising and very sync'y! But neither puts the effect in sync with the timeline!
Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 6.02.05 PM.png
So I poked around some more – it looks like the combination "beat snap –> 1/4" + effects set to "clip trigger" is the closest I get to the effect being in sync. The problem is... it only works sometimes! At the same time 'clip trigger' is not the default start setting, so I've got a long day's work ahead of me changing all my random effect presets to use 'clip trigger' instead of the default. And even then I can't expect that the effects will always be in sync with the timeline.

I've been using Resolume for many years, but I somehow never understood how these various settings interact – what blindingly obvious setting/concept/idea am I missing here? I can't be the only person who has tried to match random timeline movements with random effects movements...?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Timeline BPM out of sync with effects BPM?

Post by Zoltán »

Interesting, made a ticket.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

subset

Post by subset »

Great, this has puzzled me for a long time actually.

It prevents my sets from feeling fully 'in sync', because I tend to use many BPM effects on a single clip. When they don't match up, the 'beat sync' effect is disrupted.

mowgli
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by mowgli »

I'm having similar issues. The "start settings" behave erratically.

In some cases, I can select either "clip trigger" or "BPM phase lock" but in others, I can't select either of them for no apparent reason. The menu opens but whatever I click on never gets selected. This makes it impossible to synchronise motions as desired and is seriously limiting the possibilities of creating native generative content.

To be more specific, I have a clip that uses shaper. It's impossible to animate the size of each of the shapes to BPM and also select a start setting.
Meanwhile, I can animate the scale parameter of the shaper AND select a start setting.

This behaviour is not happening with all instances of shaper, only with some. I've tried to figure out what the cause might be to no avail.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Could you share a screen recording of this, so we can see what goes on exactly?
Thanks!
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

mowgli

Post by mowgli »

phpBB [video]

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Weird, works just fine for me.
Is this a composition created in an older version maybe?
Could you send it to us, so we can check it out?

Or does it also happen in a new composition, with a new shaper?

subset

Post by subset »

Getting ready for first pandemic gig. I'm really excited! But the inability sync my material to the beat in Resolume is really getting me down. Has there been any development on this front since this thread started? The problem seems to be that effects don't sync with the clips timeline. Is BPM syncing with effects something that people don't usually do with Resolume? Was it never intended to sync? Are there bugs? Am I just completely clueless? I'm just so confused...

An example: I have a clip that's 64 seconds long, made to be matched to an 4/4 beat. I set the timeline to 'BPM sync'. I add any to this clip that also has 'BPM sync'. No matter how I fiddle with 'start settings', 'beat snap', or 'resync', it's very difficult to get the effect movement to reliably line up with the clip's timeline. If I have more than two layers of this... no chance.

I'm not just saying this to complain – I've spent hours trying making small experiments to try understand how the various settings interact. But I don't feel like I'm any smarter. I think I'd like to know if I'm just running into bugs, or if this is something that can be understood. Rhythm is a big part of my visual sets, and I'm willing to learn if someone can point me to a good tutorial that shows how they're able to sync effects and clips in Resolume.

OK, rant over. Sorry.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Could you upload a video so we can see what you're doing exactly, what the param settings are and how stuff gets out of sync?

Params also have an option to be linked to Clip position, with that the param will always be at the specific value, also if you scrub the clip.

mowgli

Post by mowgli »

I'm back on this after a while...
So yes, the original composition was created in a previous version of Resolume.
I saved my shaper source settings, created a new composition, loaded the saved source settings and the problem persists. I'm now rebuilding the whole thing from scratch which is far from ideal. So far (and I'm not very far!) it appears to work but rebuilding all this is going to take a loooooong time!