strange OSC IP Address??

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
nosuchtim
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

strange OSC IP Address??

Post by nosuchtim »

I have 2 Windows 10 computers, both running Avenue 7.3.2 rev74029. One of them shows an OSC IP Address of 192.168.1.104 (on my local network), and I can send OSC things to Resolume and things work as expected.

The other machine (on the same network) strangely shows an OSC IP Address of 169.254.197.226, and I have NO idea where it's getting that address from. If I ping it, it's unreachable. The IP address of the machine is 192.168.1.114, and the output of ipconfig doesn't have 169.254 anywhere in it. Somehow that machine (with the same version of Windows and Avenue 7) is pulling the address 169.254.197.226 from somewhere, but where?

Ideally I'd actually like to explicitly set the OSC IP Address that Resolume uses. I.e. I'd like to set it to 127.0.0.1 so that I can write software that uses the same IP Address on all machines. Is that possible?

I can certainly deal with the situation where Resolume picks one of the other valid IP addresses of the machine, but when it picks an invalid address - 169.254.197.226 - I'm at a loss as to how to use it!

Thanks for any help!

...Tim...

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: strange OSC IP Address??

Post by Arvol »

OSC isn't limited to a single IP, it listens for OSC on all connected devices. What device is selected under the DMX tab? Sounds like a bluetooth or virtual device (for VPN, etc. that's not in use atm).
Regardless, if you can ping that machine, OSC should be getting through unless you have some crazy firewall rule in place.

nosuchtim
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by nosuchtim »

The strange IP address that Resolume is showing in its OSC Ip Address interface is still a mystery (if I ping 169.254.197.226 it says Destination Host unreachable, and the output of the ipconfig command doesn't show 169.254.197.226 anywhere). However, I'm able to send OSC to 127.0.0.1 and/or the default DHCP-obtained address (in my case 192.168.1.114), so I'm able to send OSC to Resolume successfully on this machine now, and can ignore this mystery. Thanks!

...Tim...

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Resolume lists the first active network adapter's IP address as information.
Don't worry, OSC actually listens on all adapters on the machine, and sending will use the system's routing table to send a packet.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu