non-dxv videos lag after win10 21h1

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
drakdeth
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

non-dxv videos lag after win10 21h1

Post by drakdeth »

I know i know, just covert everything to dxv...but up until the latest win10 version update, i could play hd 60fps videos at any speed with no problem, so i just wouldn't covert them to dxv unless i really needed to, which saves me some hard drive space. I had been away from my pc for 2 months and just installed the latest win10 cancer, and among other unrelated problems, suddenly my resolume projects with non-dxv video assets can't play faster than their normal speed, and struggle at slower speeds. the audio reacts correctly to my speed settings however. Converting my problem assets to dxv fixes my problem of course, but like I said before, everything was working fine until windows updated. Has anyone else had this problem now or before? Any other troubleshooting I should do before I eat 500gb of space for dxv files? . I've updated my gpu, chipset, and codec drivers, uninstalled/reinstalled arena 6, tried arena 5 and 7, but the problem persists.

specs:
arena 6.1.5
windows 10 (now 21h1)
amd ryzen 9 3900x
nvidia rtx 2070 super
samsung 860 ssd

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: non-dxv videos lag after win10 21h1

Post by Zoltán »

Did the upgrade mess up GPU assignments maybe?

If you enable show display info in the output menu, and send an output, is the renderer line saying your Nvidia GPU?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

drakdeth

Post by drakdeth »

Zoltán wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:48 Did the upgrade mess up GPU assignments maybe?

If you enable show display info in the output menu, and send an output, is the renderer line saying your Nvidia GPU?
it does in fact say the renderer is my nvidia gpu while having this issue.

the full info says
Resolume Arena
Display: Display 1
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Renderer: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2
Gfx Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

That looks good.
Third party formats are decoded using the OS media libraries, we don't really have control over those changes. Partly why we recommend to use DXV.

MP4 and similar formats are highly compressed keyframe based formats,
​These are being decoded on the CPU, so playing multiple 4k mp4 files at once can have a big hit on your CPU usage for example.
Playing them at anything but nominal speed, forwards will require a lot of extra frame decoding for each frame position(keyframe and all intermediate frames)
If your CPU can't keep up with that, you'll see frame drops or stutters.

DXV is all keyframe, so only one frame needs to be decoded for any position, and that's done on the GPU.
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

drakdeth

Post by drakdeth »

Zoltán wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 08:43
MP4 and similar formats are highly compressed keyframe based formats,
​These are being decoded on the CPU, so playing multiple 4k mp4 files at once can have a big hit on your CPU usage for example.
Playing them at anything but nominal speed, forwards will require a lot of extra frame decoding for each frame position(keyframe and all intermediate frames)
If your CPU can't keep up with that, you'll see frame drops or stutters.
I completely understand why dxv is optimized and i do use it on some projects, but my cpu had no problem whatsoever with mp4/avi related codecs before the big windows 10 update in may. I could play 1080p or 2k 60fps mp4 videos on multiple displays and alter the playback speed up to about 200% with almost no dropped frames or any other performance issues. based on that, i assumed that would be an os or driver issue of course. in my troubleshooting, just playing 1 2k 60fps video at faster speeds only puts my cpu usage at about 15% on average, but it just doesn't play faster but the audio speed increases like i previously mentioned. so...
Zoltán wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 08:43
Third party formats are decoded using the OS media libraries, we don't really have control over those changes.
I started investigating this type of issue to see what i could do in windows related to os media libraries or codecs or decoders etc, but I haven't gotten anywhere with that yet. anyone know where to start poking around? i won't hold any liable for any potential dangers to my machine :D

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

drakdeth wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 21:18 just playing 1 2k 60fps video at faster speeds only puts my cpu usage at about 15% on average, but it just doesn't play faster but the audio speed increases like i previously mentioned. so...
Decoder tasks are usually single threaded.
With a CPU that has 8 cores, if the decoder task maxes out a core and you don't have load otherwise, you'd see 12,5% CPU load, still the task would struggle.