Resolume vs Birddog

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
nmugnaini
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Resolume vs Birddog

Post by nmugnaini »

Hey hey
Ok I'm trying to figure out whose problem this is. I'm on a show running a bunch of NDI feeds in and out of my servers. When I introduce Birddog's new Multiviewer Pro software in the network I take a performance hit on Resolume.

Is this something that birddog is doing or something that Resolume can't handle on the network?

Side note: We have 50ish NDI streams on the network and I'm broadcasting output from each of the Resolume machines. There is also birddog hardware in use on the network but without performance issues.

Thanks for the brainstorm -Nick

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Resolume vs Birddog

Post by Zoltán »

NDI is CPU encoded.
A performance hit is expected when a client connects to the Resolume server, as the machine will have to do more work.
If it's just for preview, you could make a lower resolution screen output in the advanced output for this. That would be easier on the CPU to encode.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

nmugnaini

Post by nmugnaini »

See, I expected that, so the streams are dumbed down to 1080p. However, I'm not taking a performance hit when other Birddog or NDI Studio Monitors are viewing, only when I add the Multiviewer software on the network does the performance get hit.

If the MV software is running and I restart Resolume I'm good for a bit (60 fps) but MV likes to crash(or get tired?) and reopen causing lower fps (35~50fps).

I thought this was a network thing but I get the same results on a 10gbs unmanaged switch

So which software has the issue?

fyi- All machines are i7 3.8ghz, 32gb ram, Quadro 6000, gigabit ethernet.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

250Mbps per NDI stream (1080p@60). Who knows what the MV software uses in terms of bandwidth (especially if it's decoding ALL of the streams at once). As Zoltan said, this is a CPU process, so maybe check your hardware stats before and during usage?

nmugnaini

Post by nmugnaini »

With 3 different screens/slices outputting NDI resource monitor is running at 55mbps sent. With one stream in 200mbps received.

CPU at 25% without Birddog Multiviewer running, 57% with it running.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Yeah that 57% is an average over all cores. If the NDI encoder is occupying any CPU core to 80% you'll get performance drops.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

nmugnaini

Post by nmugnaini »

Negative, the usage is under 60% on any core while NDI multiviewer is running and I have drops. It looks like it influences the GPU performance directly. The differences between running the multiviewer while NDI is still on and sending/receiving.
MV off: CPU cores under 30%, Disk 37% (m.2 ssd), Ethernet S:26Mbps R: 100kbps, GPU 44%
MV on: CPU cores roughly 55%, Disk 55%, Ethernet S:26Mbps R:.4Mbps, GPU 20%

I also have a screenshot of the resource monitor attached.
This all seems backwards that the GPU is working less when the MV is on but harder when it is off. None of my resources have even come close to full usage.
Attachments
20210826_082712.jpg

nmugnaini

Post by nmugnaini »

Still an ongoing problem. Anyone have any ideas?

dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

What is the workflow? How many NDI sources into 1 Resolume server? How many servers on the network? Is the multiviewer on it’s own server or sharing a server/network ports? Are you using access manager? Are your sources using mDNS or is it turned off? If mDNS is not turned off, it could be the multi viewer is trying to received every broadcast available and is tying up the network.

Any NDI in Resolume is captured by the CPU, passed off to the GPU, then back to the CPU for output.

nmugnaini

Post by nmugnaini »

Workflow:
2-3 layers used outputting 2 DP screens and 2 NDI screens. There are 6 resolume servers on the network and 50(ish) NDI sources from cameras/tricasters/servers/computers. The resolume servers are not taking any sources in. The birddog multiviewer is on it's own media server grade spec. Not sure on the mDNS, on most of the settings that I can access I can't see this option. The multiviewer as no options whatsoever other than output resolution. Network is a managed multi-10gbps hardware, fiber, we have a IT guy just for the gig.
Our IT guy measured the network traffic after hours. Without the multiviewer running, resolume runs at a easy 60fps, bandwidth on the network is 400-600mbps. With the multiviewer running, resolume drops to 35-40fps, network bandwidth runs 2.5gbps.
This is obviously a heavy load but again none of the servers are taking in any NDI sources, so why is resolume affected by only one (non mounted) NDI source when it's fine with 50 other sources?