Help setting up Epix

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
jwallis
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Help setting up Epix

Post by jwallis »

Moving my epix setup from madmapper to resolume arena. I was using sACN with madmapper but going to resolume means I'm moving to artnet. Changed the modes on the drive2000IP and set my ip's to 10.10.12.299...etcc for each strip (same range as the pc on a switch with just the PC, my artnet node, and the epix drive. I can see the drive in artnetominator on the pc but I don't see it on resolume in the advanced settings, I just see my artnet node for my other fixtures. Tried inputting the target IPs but that didn't work either. Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Help setting up Epix

Post by Arvol »

I own a LOT of these lol.
Set your PC IP to the same range as the the your controller.
I use 2.0.0.100 for my PC and I set my controllers to be 2.0.0.200 - 2.0.0.220
(Subnet should be 255.0.0.0 and gateway can be blank or 2.0.0.1)
Turn off any firewalls you may have.
Use an unmanaged switch.
Plug in your strips and then set your controller to auto-config/assign (be sure to set your right mode first).
Make sure you set the controller to Artnet and set your ports up using the proper universe channel offsets (I keep my channel offsets at 0 and then set my universe starting with my first brain at universe 1, then each port moves up from there. Each port get's its own universe).
And Resolume should now be able to connect to them.
I set Resolume Lumiverses to Broadcast and then just use proper Subnet and Universe offsets in Resolume.

jwallis

Post by jwallis »

Arvol wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 19:14 I own a LOT of these lol.
Set your PC IP to the same range as the the your controller.
I use 2.0.0.100 for my PC and I set my controllers to be 2.0.0.200 - 2.0.0.220
(Subnet should be 255.0.0.0 and gateway can be blank or 2.0.0.1)
Turn off any firewalls you may have.
Use an unmanaged switch.
Plug in your strips and then set your controller to auto-config/assign (be sure to set your right mode first).
Make sure you set the controller to Artnet and set your ports up using the proper universe channel offsets (I keep my channel offsets at 0 and then set my universe starting with my first brain at universe 1, then each port moves up from there. Each port get's its own universe).
And Resolume should now be able to connect to them.
I set Resolume Lumiverses to Broadcast and then just use proper Subnet and Universe offsets in Resolume.
Would it work to keep my PC on 10.10.12.20? That's the range where my nodes for fixtures live since the PC runs on PC as well. The PC has a seprate network card that goes into a unmanaged switch that just has any artnet devices on it so thats already isolated. All of my local network firewalls are disabled for that network. Going to try to factory reset the epix drive from scratch with artnet config and see if that helps. Its just weird to me that I can see the drive in artnetomintor but not in reso?

Also, this is a real dumb question but I'm new to artnet... how do I figure out what subnet I should be on?

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Rule of thumb from EVERY major LD I've worked with is to set your Artnet IP to the following:
IP: 2.0.0.xxx
Subnet: 255.0.0.0
Gateway: Blank or 2.0.0.1 (If you have a console on that address)

The whole 10.xxx.xxx.xxx was some weirdness that popped up like 5-6 years ago and not sure why it's stuck.
To be clear, you can use any IP class for Artnet, but LD's like uniformity and standards and the 2.0.0.xxx seems to be what they landed one.

Is it a pain for you to change over to that? If not lmk and I'll post what everything should be on for your setup.

TLDR: Could you try the 2.0.0.xxx IP setup to be uniformity like everyone else? Pretty Please? :)

jwallis

Post by jwallis »

Arvol wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 21:21 Rule of thumb from EVERY major LD I've worked with is to set your Artnet IP to the following:

The whole 10.xxx.xxx.xxx was some weirdness that popped up like 5-6 years ago and not sure why it's stuck.
To be clear, you can use any IP class for Artnet, but LD's like uniformity and standards and the 2.0.0.xxx seems to be what they landed one.

Is it a pain for you to change over to that? If not lmk and I'll post what everything should be on for your setup.

TLDR: Could you try the 2.0.0.xxx IP setup to be uniformity like everyone else? Pretty Please? :)
I'm a part-time production tech at a church so with our event turnarounds I can't take any real risk with restructuring the parts of the artnet network that work, my plan is to move to something structured more like that when we do a stage strike/rebuild in a few weeks for our Christmas series.

The 10.10.12.etc is a carryover from when our subnet when our art-net network was on the main building network since our switch got delayed when we first moved to artnet for control from our MA3 wing.

I actually have been working at it with the advice you gave and got the first 3 universes on each port working.
IMG_4206.jpg
but for some reason when the 4th universe on each port starts I can't get those to patch properly. Still playing around with it tho.

jwallis

Post by jwallis »

Update! Everythings is up and running, it was just an issue with the drive not actually saving some of the IP configs changed I made for the 4th universe on each port lol. I really wish they would put the IP fields in the web portal so that I wouldn't have to make so many runs to the rack lol.

Thank you so much for all your help!!! I promise in a few weeks I'll be on the 2.0.0.xxx train with every other normal person lol

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Very glad you got them up and running. They're pretty awesome fixture for the price. Sure beats the Martin Sceptrons (IMO). Hope you have a great week.

sonusevents

Post by sonusevents »

Arvol wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 21:21 Rule of thumb from EVERY major LD I've worked with is to set your Artnet IP to the following:

Is there any way to contact @arvol? I'm a new member and cant reach out. Thanks
Last edited by sonusevents on Mon Nov 27, 2023 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

sonusevents wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 18:37

Is there any way to contact @arvol? I'm a new member and cant reach out. Thanks
Hi :)
What's up? Got some Epix strips?

sonusevents

Post by sonusevents »

Thanks for getting back to me.

Would I be able to DM you or you me. I'll then add a full post with the issue, solution and end outcome.

Thanks