never get soft and continous playback

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
stephan_grosse8
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

never get soft and continous playback

Post by stephan_grosse8 »

Operating System: xp
Processor: amd 4000+
Videocard: geforce 6600gt
hd: raid wit 2 barracuda 10.000 Umin
Files type: avi
Codec: main concept mjpeg

our screen-setup is computing 640x640 and output 640x480. colordepth is 32 bit.

i never get a soft playback of our files. it doesn´t matter what size i use. we tried 400x300 and 640x480. we tried mjpeg a and b, the mvid codec and the main concept codec. quicktime doesn´t work fine too.
we also tried teh same setup on several computer (pentium etc.) but we never get a smooth playback of our files.

is there anyone who has the same problem ?

best regards
stephan

cat
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by cat »

Yes, that bugs been there since beta2, I've actually had better playback from an external drive, rather than and internal, dont ask me why (even with a raid internal)
process at 400x300 16 bit, is the smoothest I've managed, but it looks a bit crap.
Its the one bug that I really want fixed, and the one that stops resolume, being pro software, I thought it was just a lack of grunt until I recently upgraded to a slightly less spec'd system than yours, theres a bottleneck somewhere!

continuity-B
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by continuity-B »

what do you mean exactly by not getting a smooth playback?

continuous frame dropping (stuttering) or a single stutter once every loop?

What fps are you acheiving?

cat

Post by cat »

Well I get a tick(stutter) every second or so, with some footage its not noticable, but for slow stuff its a pain.
I have wondered whether its a AMD thing, as all my machines are AMD.

stephan_grosse8
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by stephan_grosse8 »

with "not continous" i mean a kind of dropped frames nearly every second. sometimes more, sometimes less. you really can´t play a rotating logo f.e.

maybe we have done something wrong on the 4 different maschines we used for testing. is there someone who gets an output with absolutely no dropped frames ?

i´m talking about using just 1 layer !!! i donßt want to talk about 2 or 3 layers.

DAS BEN

Post by DAS BEN »

did you try indeo 5.1. it is afaster codec than mjpg. but your machine must be more than fat enough.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

its not the machine or four of them, i get the same thing with a P4 3.4 1gb ram and 10.000 rpm WD, i get it with 640x480 and PAL resolution clips in MJPG. Its a softwere problem that makes resolume usless for slow motion clips.

continuity-B
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by continuity-B »

I get smooth playback all the time with 3 layers, but I push 320*240 to ensure that (off lappy internal hd and it looks fine to me). Smoothness is more important than sharpness in moving image I find.

Is that a dedicated RAID for your clips alone or is your os on it too? That could cause a bottleneck problem perhaps. Maybe un-RAID those drives and use them separately (one OS, one clips) so that your clips are streaming off a dedicated drive un-interrupted (they are very fast individually as they are). Better yet get another drive for your OS and keep the RAID for your clips. RAID or not, separate volumes for OS and clips is the recommended for resolume.

Personally never used a RAID but that's as much as I know.

cat

Post by cat »

Lores isnt a problem, but you should really compare PAL res and 320 sometime on a big screen, 320 looks "oh its ok" until you see PAL res when you realise that 320 looks blurred, I like crisp when I need it crisp!
Off the same system I've had 3-4 layers of MJPG PAL res play without frame drops using different software. Resolumes interface is fantastic for improvising dont get me wrong, but it doesnt like high res clips, which is a damn shame!

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

is there anyone who has the same problem ?
I do...

spoils the effect for slow clips :/

everything coded in proper indeo 5.1 or mjpeg, with keyframes every single frame...

My thoery is that it has something to do with the hardrive activity/seek.

Any chance for some feedback from Resolume crew on this issue?
Is there any way to get rid of it or minimise the problem?