never get soft and continous playback

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
DAS BEN
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by DAS BEN »

did anyone try to press alt+strg+i ?
there you get information about the performance, for example fps.
if you talk about framedropping, afew dropped frames are not visible, even 12 frames per second would still look smooth, cartoons and flash movies are made at 12 fps.
if you notice really worse performance your framerate must be under 12 fps.
i only have this problem with mpg1 files. i have a slow computer and get normally with indeo or mjpg avis high frame rates.

i think the problem must be somewhere with the other installed software. for example sorenson squeeze installs a windows media runtime enviroment. after this i got some problems. or some codec packs are installing a lot of software wich have influence with the dealing with codecs.
maybe we should ask around , who is using wich software and windows, both the people with and the people without problems.

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

Hi Das Ben,
the smooth playback bug is particulary noticed with slow moving footage.
with faster moving footage it isn't that noticeable.
So most people won't really have issues with this unless they use specific footage.

Cheers
Edwin

DAS BEN

Post by DAS BEN »

i did some tests about this topic.
on my video pc and my laptop everthing smooth. both pc got a fresh windows and only essantial software.
but my new pc i got it too now. stuttering playback, never mind wich kind of video. but its not a problem of resolume. it runs with a fps of 80. i get this stuttering even in the windows media player. its like a frame freezing every few seconds.
anyone an idea ?

cat

Post by cat »

The frame bug isnt as simple as dropping the speed to 12fps, I wish it was, in fact if you set the playback to 12fps you still get these dropped frames, its the resolution that seems to cause the problem. Its on clean installed xp systems too, nothing but os and resolume
By specific footage you mean logos rotating, slow pans etc and affects single layer playback.
Its been 18 months since I first reported this bug, and I cant believe it is still with us, its a basic request really 1 layer with no frames dropped. Obviously more people are going PAL res as machines are more than fast enough to do it now. It really is time to stop coding fun new stuff and fix this bug!
If your planning on getting new customers via DMX, Im sure they will expect nothing less than PAL res, as thats what you can get with all the other DMX software, in fact with all other VJ software now, for Pro shows I cant use Resolume because of this, which is a damn shame, its OKish for club vjing, the ease of use beats the output, but anything else?
Please guys some late nights and a solution?

cat

DAS BEN

Post by DAS BEN »

i solved my problem myself, did a system recovery. must have been a driver update, or too much installing or deinstalling software. i dont know wich one caused the trouble.

alchemist

Post by alchemist »

Originally posted by DAS BEN
i solved my problem myself, did a system recovery. must have been a driver update, or too much installing or deinstalling software. i dont know wich one caused the trouble.
That sounds like a good news too
Its not installing/reinstalling as it happens on fresh OS too.
Maybe drivers then?
What is your config and which drivers were updated?

cat

Post by cat »

And what resolution/codec clips do you use?

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I have the same problem with Resolume 2.3
The playback don't work fine...
Not a hardware problem : Athlon 3800+ DualCore, Raptor 10000rpm HD, 2Go RAM, motherboard with ATI chipset, graphic card ATI X700 PCI-E.

:(:(:(

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

... Tried a lot of codec, size and compression : under 400*300 they works fine in MJPEG, but quality is not very nice...

juLiE

stutter with any speed & effects

Post by juLiE »

UPDATE TO WHAT I POSTED BELOW: did more tests - the main thing is 2.0 does not stutter as noticably as 2.3 (my resolution assumptions below may be incorrect, not sure - eyeballing is a craft).

just made a new partition with nothing but resolume 2.0 and 2.3 and SP1 (no internet browsing, no junk running, nada; stricly for VJing).

the system seems to run smooth without crashing, however, i have stutter playback issues on 2.3 also (all speeds & effects). 2.0 still runs smoother (but has some stutter issues too, but *way* less than 2.3 and *very* passable).

did some tests and my conclusion is that your recommendations of 400x300 for process resolution and 640x460-or-800x600 for output resolutions are the *key factors*

...unfortunately i'm a sucker for 720x480...but if i want 2.3's layer RGB channels, i'll process @ 400x300 (gulp), even though 2.0 handled 720x480 better...

test info:
----------
1 avi (specs below) in layer 1 using metalimage effect ("size" set to play (normal), other parameters paused).

peace-olah, juLiE

Operating System: XP, SP1
Processor: AMD Athlon 2800
Videocard: Nividia GeForce4 MX
Files type: AVI; 720x480, 29fps, data rate 682 klps, 18 sec.
Codec: Indeo 5.2
VOB/Compressor Tool: VirtualDubMod

[Edited on 3-5-2006 by juLiE]