Resolume Pixel Aspect

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Resolume Pixel Aspect

Post by pfelberg »

Hi.
I know that resolume works smothly with 320x240 files. Depending on Resolume version and system specifications, 640x480 will be just fine.
Well, I have several CG sequences rendered for video and demo purposes, all 720x480 0.9 pixel aspect.
Definately, 720x480 seems a little bit out of the optimized scale for Resolume to play it smoothly.
I don't care about downsampling the video files, but I'd like to avoid strechting or jaggies on image resolution.
My question is simple: if I downsample to 360x240 (half size) my video files, will resolume still stretch the image to fit a squared pixel aspect as it seems to be the standard resolution output?
Any suggestions about encoding settings to manipulate the video files?
Any help is appreciated.

Paulo Felberg

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

Paulo, don't worry. I'm pretty sure someone will comment your post. Be happy!

Me.

vj.döppler
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by vj.döppler »

Paulo:

You can use CANOPUS PRO CODER V2.0 or SORENSON SQUEEZE to convert the files, or you can export directly from your video editor.

Pixel Wars: Because pixel aspect ratio 0.9 (3:2) is intended for TV, when viewed on a computer monitor the video can look 'fatter' than viewed on tv, due to pixel aspect. So, when downscaled to 320x240 par1.0 software will correct automatically the aspect to make it look in the proportions as they look on a TV, so, don't worry about losing quality or the images to shrink if you downscale, because your video file (720x480 0.9) is not displayed in full resolution, you are actually viewing a fat video, because computer compensate the aspect ratio. sometimes, when i downscale videoclips, the files looks better than original file. This is because the pixel aspect is the correct for monitors.

Go on, downscale your files, and dont worry about anything... well... actually yes: the codec you will use to encode your clip.

vj.döppler

Post by vj.döppler »

Sorry! i forget to tell you something more:

do NOT downscale to 360x240 pixel aspect ratio 0.9, you MUST downscale to 320x240 pixel aspect 1.0, because you are displaying video in computer monitors and projectors, 0.9 is NOT the correct aspect for this purpose.
Avoid 0.9!!

About the codec: i use Quicktime files: Apple Motion JPEG-A 320x240 30FPS Best Quality... but, many people in this forum preffers to use AVI files, because they are faster to load and display. i will check on it and post comments.

Good Luck!

VJ Nexus
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by VJ Nexus »

everything i've read in the replies sounds correct - always use 1.0 pixel aspect ratio. It is also important to make sure that you deinterlace your new files. I run in 640x480 - most of the files made from originals at 720x480x0.9 and they work great using indeo 5.11 quality 95%. (320x240 is also fine, but not 360x240 - keep to 4x3 ratios) Most files that are in 0.9 pixel aspect are that way for tv as described before - this generally means they are interlaced as well, because that is also how tv's work - it's important to deinterlace before bringing into resolume - this will get rid of "jaggies" as you called them.

hope this all helps

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

Thank you guys.
Yes, the information was very usefull.
Thoug it is not simple to downscale the files. The reason... they are more than 250 files!
So I need a very good batch video converter.

Paulo

VJ Nexus
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by VJ Nexus »

virtualdub

vj.döppler

Post by vj.döppler »

the BEST batch converter i ever used is:

Canopus Pro Coder 2.0. it can open a lot of video formats and batch converts them to many other formats and parameters not found on many programs.

Try it!

http://www.canopus.com/products/ProCoderSW/index.php