hard disk problem

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
lichterloh
Is taking Resolume on a second date

hard disk problem

Post by lichterloh »

hi

we've bought two 'wd mybook' external hdd's, which work quite fine so far. the only problem: if we don't change the videos in the layers for a longer time and then trigger a new one the output happens to freeze for about 6 seconds. this doesn't happen on busy nights but gets annoying on the more easy ones. we suppose its a hd problem losing focus (though reading the vids played), taking a long time to come back. any solutions? is there something we can do to keep the hd "always on"?

cheers

VJ Nexus
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by VJ Nexus »

your external hard drives could be going into power saving mode, and stop spinning. This is something built into windows to save power. It can be disabled, but i can't remember how off the top of my head right now, but a quick google search should solve the issue. I believe it's in the windows "power options" or maybe the properties of the device itself... hope this helps.

coolhandloop
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by coolhandloop »

the same thing happens to me i also have a wd mybook...it is a bit annoying when u leave the computer alone for a little while

DAS BEN

Post by DAS BEN »

i have one external drive with the same problem. this is not caused by windows. it is a built in feature of the external drive.

lichterloh

Post by lichterloh »

so there is no information about this "feature" on wd's side- we thought about a programming approach, some small application which "pings" the hdd constantly, maybe already built into resolume? what do you guys think? any programmers willing to help? bart, edwin?

DAS BEN

Post by DAS BEN »

one linux freak told me its possible to shut down the sleep mode. but i was to drunken to remember.

VJzoo
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: hard disk problem

Post by VJzoo »

we have the same problem with our MYbooks and MYpassport drives and we have tried reformatting them FAT32 and NTFS and still have the same prob. :(

frederico

Post by frederico »

old topic and I do not have the WD mybook :)
found thishttp://kansasa.blogspot.com/2008/01/wes ... ition.html
I would need a pc expert for that :o
But maybe it helps(a little)

Rags

Post by Rags »

if you are needing to read off a portablu hdd the play a mp3 track from the hdd in loop mode. this will keep the disk spinnig and wont take up much transferbandwidth i have come across the same issue and this is my fix, not ideal but it works. And it's not very oftern i have to do it that way.....