Flash support in Vista

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
thinkmassive
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Flash support in Vista

Post by thinkmassive »

I recently upgraded to a ThinkPad X61 Tablet that was preloaded with Vista Business. During the day I do IT work and I haven't had good experiences with Vista there so, after trying it for a few hours, I formatted and installed XP Tablet PC Edition. Everything worked fine, including Resolume 2.41 (trial), but tablet functionality was poor. A couple days ago I installed Vista Enterprise and there are some minor annoyances (new file and config structures, some applications require files no longer included, occasional wireless issues) but I'm satisfied enough to keep it.

The Resolume 2.41 trial has run fine, but when I exit Resolume an error window pops up from Vista, stating that "this program requires flash.ocx, which is no longer included in this version of Windows". Clicking "Check for solutions on line" opens a Problem Reports and Solutions window that suggests I download the latest version of Adobe Flash Player. I already installed Flash Player 9, and I reinstalled it after seeing this error, but it persists. I also downloaded flash.ocx from an ActiveX controls site, and I placed this in the same folder as resolume.exe, but the error still happens. Flash files will not load, giving the reason "problem loading file, file is ignored". Without Flash, Resolume is severely limited, so I hope this is an easy fix.

Anyone running Vista should look into Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... fault.mspx)
so you can create an XP virtual machine.

Operating System: Windows Vista Enterprise
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo L7500 @ 1.60GHz x2
Videocard: Mobile Intel 965 Express
File type: swf
Codec: flash.ocx(?)

thinkmassive

Post by thinkmassive »

Virtual PC works for running essential tools like a vpn client that doesn't work in Vista, but it's way too slow on my laptop. This solution might be acceptable on a larger PC with high clock speed and a lot of RAM, so if anyone tries please educate us with your results.

Some of my newly created clips made Resolume crash in Vista, so I definitely wouldn't rely on it for live performance. My new plan is to install XP on an external hard drive that I can boot solely for running Resolume. This seems like a better solution that hmy previous XP install, because it's a pain to try balancing extensions for everyday ease-of-use and high performance. Instead of trying to kill all the extra processes each time I boot, it makes more sense to boot into a dedicated system. Using a high-speed drive (7200+ rpm) should provide adequate performance over USB 2.0 or Firewire.

I will follow emanuel's guide to Installing and booting Windows XP from USB drive

gdlt
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by gdlt »

I know many people have problems with Flash in Resolume with Vista.
Yesterday i finally bought a new laptop (HP DV9670ED Vista home premium). and as i speak resolume is running .swf files @ the projector.
i didn't change annything, only running vista in the XP sp2 compatibility mode (right click resolume-> properties ->comaptibility tab), and adjusting vista to max performance).

At first startup de resolume layer and output previews didnt work, the reason for this was that i had choosen a output resolution in vista that wasn't support by resolume.(now running @ 800x600@32 bit)

The .Swf files tested: my own (rendered with flash mx2004 and flash 8 output settings for flash player 7 and 8), the eyesupply files and the flash text files from the included resolume demo footage.

further all my avi files are up and running, except fot some verry old files, also the resolume demo footage runs fine. the Analogrecycling packs don't function and couses resolume to crash (didn't installed any codec packs yet).

Hope this information is usefull to annyone.

Update:

I was forgotten to install quicktime :)
and for some reason the resolume file browser showed mov files as if they where avi.

After installing quicktime:
i can't play the first X number of files from each folder (they give a white thumbnail) and crash resolume when trying to play, but after playing some mov's that are lower in the folder (and do show a correct thumbnail) i can play the files.
the thumb preview is still white and the layer preview is also white. but the output preview an the projector show the clips. the loop function doesn't work and also reverse playback doesn't work, also you don't see the playhead moving. manual scratching the playhead does work (so it's pretty useless).

annyone a idea?

[Edited on 10-11-2007 by gdlt]

simjonowitsch

Post by simjonowitsch »

I m having the same problem. I cant play any flashfiles in resolume on my PC. Flash files will not load, giving the reason "problem loading file, file is ignored"
My PC is running with Windows XP. So it seems to be not just a problem of Vista. I tried the compability mode with older windowsversions and i tried an older resolume Version (2.1):
But no chance to play flashfiles.
Does anybody have an idea?

[Edited on 30-11-2007 by simjonowitsch]

Evildude

Post by Evildude »

Seems that I have the same problem that gdlt has. No idea of what's the matter. All the codecs installed... First previews are white, when I play others that shows the thumbnail I can play the ones with the white preview, but deck shows a white thumb too...However they play in the layer, but no loop or in out points.

I've tried everything!

thehoo

Re: Flash support in Vista

Post by thehoo »

Im kinda disappointed wt these things happening ,we believe in the product and yet there's no solution..... :oops:

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

Try installing Flash using Internet Explorer and it should work just fine. Installing Flash with Firefox, Chrome or Opera does not work for Resolume.

thehoo

Post by thehoo »

Thank you very much...it works..cheers mate.