Instructions for using sequencers like ableton Live

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
antonio913
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Instructions for using sequencers like ableton Live

Post by antonio913 »

Please make a video showing how to control resolume via Ableton. I'm having trouble getting this to work. In short I want to use ableton sequencer to trigger video clips.

Rene
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Instructions for using sequencers like ableton Live

Post by Rene »

Hi antonio913,

I've not the time to make a video, but may can help you. I've connected Resolume and Live using virtual MIDI (ipmidi) or a USB-2-MIDI interface where I just connected the input to the output. Works fine. Then I send MIDI data from Live to Resolume. - But did not try OSC and Rewire so far.

gpvillamil
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by gpvillamil »

Here is a step-by-step guide:

I. Connect Resolume and Ableton

You need a MIDI loopback driver. On a Windows PC, MIDI Yoke is best (and free), IPMidi is also excellent and allows sending MIDI over network. On a Mac, either the app will appear as a MIDI endpoint, or you can use the IAC driver (which does the same as MIDI Yoke).

In the Ableton MIDI preferences, find your loopback (MIDI Yoke, IPMidi, IAC) and set track output to ON.

in Resolume, go to preferences and enable the same MIDI device. (Res 2.41 does by default, Res 3 you have to manually enable. Once done, setting is kept.)

I can highly recommend the IPMidi approach, keeping Ableton and Resolume on separate computers. If you are only using Ableton for MIDI, you do not need a very powerful computer at all.

II. Plan your MIDI layout

Important step, will make life much easier.

Here's how I do it:

1) Assign clips to be triggered by notes (white keys) in order, starting from Ableton octave 0 (= Resolume octave 2). So your clips will be triggered by C2, D2, E2, F2, G2, A2, B2, C3, D3, E3, etc...

2) Use MIDI channel 1 to trigger clips going to layer 1, MIDI channel 2 for layer 2, etc. I use MIDI channel 4 to trigger clips going to the active layer. I use MIDI channel 5 for other controls, such as switching decks, etc. Since Resolume potentially has many more layers, you might choose to use MIDI channels 11 and up for control, leaving 1-10 for use in clip triggering. I believe in Res 3 you would have to do this using the direct mapping, not the contextual mapping.

3) Assign a note for bypass layer and clear layer, for each layer and channel. You can use notes from Ableton octave -1 (Resolume octave 1). My notation will be note/channel. So for example, C1/1 bypasses layer 1, D1/1 clears layer 1, C1/2 bypasses layer2, D1/4 clears the active layer, etc.

4) Figure out what controller assignments you want to make. I tend to make these contextual mappings, eg. parameters 1-4 of the active layer.

Here's a picture of a simple Ableton set that does this: http://villamil.org/images/ableton_vj.jpg

III. Make MIDI assignments in Resolume

If you have a hardware MIDI controller, start Resolume, enable the MIDI controller for input, and learn all the MIDI notes. In Resolume 3, this is in the Mapping menu. In Resolume 2.41, this is in preferences dialog. Mostly you select a control, and then press the appropriate MIDI key.

If you don't have a hardware MIDI controller, open Ableton and Resolume at the same time. Make a MIDI track in Ableton. Set it to send MIDI to your loopback device. Set monitoring of MIDI input to In - this is in the I/O section of the track, there is a row of buttons In - Auto - Off. Enable Ableton's built-in MIDI keyboard (keyboard icon top right). You should be able to press keys on the keyboard - ASDFGHJKL - and see the MIDI level indicator flash in the track. Switch to Resolume, put it in MIDI learn mode (Res 3, mapping ; Res 2.41, preferences). Click (or double-click in Res 2.41) the parameter you want to assign, switch to Ableton and press the appropriate key. Ableton will send the MIDI signal over the loopback device to Resolume.

Note: this may not work 100% when running Resolume and Ableton on the same machine, since Resolume sometimes drops out of learn mode when it is no longer the foreground app. However, it works perfectly on two machines using IPMidi. (Note to developers: allow way of directly inputting MIDI note assignments to decks.)

IV. Test the connection

If you are using a MIDI controller, disable it for input in Resolume, and leave it enabled for input in Ableton.

If not, just use the computer keyboard in Ableton.

Leave monitoring to In in Ableton.

You should be able to trigger clips in Resolume by typing in Ableton.

V. Record some clips

In Ableton's session view (the grid), turn on record quantizing, to quarter notes. Double-click on a grid cell to make an empty 4 beat clip. Set monitor for the track to auto, and arm the track for recording. Start the new clip playing. Press some keys. You should see them recorded into the clip, and Resolume will simultaneously play them.

Keep adding clips. If for whatever reason clips don't play, set monitor to Auto for that track.

If you want some audio feedback, just make another MIDI track, put an instrument in it, and set it to take input from one of your clip control tracks.

That's basically it. From that point on, just play around and see what happens. It's interesting to use Ableton MIDI effects to modify the MIDI being sent to Resolume, try the arpeggiators and scales for example.

When you're comfortable with all this, you can enable MIDI clocking from Ableton to synchronize BPM, then you can clips speed up and slow down as you change the tempo in Ableton.

antonio913

Post by antonio913 »

Thank you. I only have one computer (Mac) but I'll give it a try hopefully it should work. Once again thank you.

baseimpulse

Post by baseimpulse »

I normally do all my Dj'ing in Ableton Live 7. im not using Midi clips or midi samples but straight audio tracks warped (beat matched) in ableton live. Does this procedure work the same way when using audio tracks instead of midi tracks in live?

dtr

Post by dtr »

I woud ilke to get some help too
Got same question as baseimpulse

VJair

Post by VJair »

no, audio clips are just audio, they dont send any data. if you want to control any other software from ableton you will have to use midi clips as well or use dummy clips to control both an audio and midi clip.

gpvillamil

Post by gpvillamil »

Actually, audio clips in Ableton *can* be set to send data.

If you have assigned a MIDI note as a trigger to an audio clip in session view, everytime you activate that clip it will actually send *out* its assigned MIDI, with the velocity set to the number of times it has looped.

This is known as the secret "Richie Hawtin" feature in Ableton. I believe it is active by default in recent versions of Ableton, if not it is easy to tweak prefs to make it work. Here is what Robert Henke has to say about it:

Richie Hawtins "secret" Live feature is in since Live 4 for everyone:

create a file "Options.txt" in Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live4

write the line:

-MIDINoteFeedback

in it. If a session clip has been MIDI learned it will put out a note event when triggered, and a note event with velocity 1 per loop count and the note off on stop.

Thats all.

Robert

gpvillamil

Post by gpvillamil »

VJair wrote:no, audio clips are just audio, they dont send any data. if you want to control any other software from ableton you will have to use midi clips as well or use dummy clips to control both an audio and midi clip.
For longer audio clips with multiple trigger points, I set up a parallel MIDI control track, with a MIDI sequence corresponding to each audio clip. Then I trigger scenes (on the right of the Ableton session view) not clips, and the audio and MIDI are triggered simultaneously. But see also my post on the MIDINoteFeedback tweak.

VJair

Post by VJair »

oooh, nice tip, i shall give that a try, thanks :)