using jpg's (images)

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
trevorhughes
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

using jpg's (images)

Post by trevorhughes »

hi there,

in r2.41, I could load a series of images into one clip, and they would show through in sequence, and it was possible to loop, bounce, etc. - creating an instant slideshow

this seems to have been removed in avenue - when a series of images is dropped on a clip, it loads each image into a seperate clip.

any advice how to get the similar result in avenue?

thanks a lot,
trevor

serik
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: using jpg's (images)

Post by serik »

hej

i do not know if resolume 3 can do it directly but ...

... outside of resolume i would suggest virtualdub. it can convert jpeg sequences into video files and it is free.

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

Image sequences do not work in Avenue, you have to render the images to a movie.

trevorhughes

Post by trevorhughes »

- that's a shame. it was a great input to the program allowing instant CREATION of content.

- now it's been suggested that we should *get creative with OTHER software first*, and then import the result into avenue. how does that translate into avenue being a "LIVE" tool? \

Sounds more like post-production thinking. "Create your content first, then use avenue"...

why remove these creative elements?

thanks, trev

gradek
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by gradek »

trevorhughes, how are you using Jpeg sequences? are you taking bunch of different/random images and turning them into a motion sequence or are you loading pre-rendered animations or video sequences and loading them into resolume instead of video files? I just don't see the why you would want to use a jpeg sequence when you can make a jpeg compressed .mov file. Unless you want to grab a different sequence of random/different images for your performances ever time.

I think its an interesting idea to have more "content creation" tools in avenue. But I think the "live"
part is more how you mix and process your content as apposed to how you generate or create it before you bring it into resolume. Musician's read sheet music or play from heart. DJ have to prepare records, Electronic musicians trigger pre-made sequences, and VJ mix video clips. there is always some amount of pre-visualization and preparation.

--Martin
Last edited by gradek on Sun Jan 04, 2009 06:40, edited 1 time in total.

craftycurate
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by craftycurate »

True, but at the same time there is a great deal of creativity that happens in the moment, that cannot be visualised beforehand.

I am one of those who creates new content on the fly - Flash animations for example, and feed them straight into a mix, but I am working in the kind of environment where other people are feeding in ideas all the time and I pick these up and reflect them back visually as well as throwing up premade content.

On another occasion I was creating 3D rendered animations in the moment in response to what was happening in the room. We always have a number of creative people at work, and the overall "mix" is much more collaborative between those in charge of music\visuals and everyone else. We do a lot of chillout prayer type of stuff which is very responsive - we are constantly responding to what others are coming out with in the room.

So I'm interested in having as much content creation power as possible.

P.S. I'd be interested to hear from anyone else using Resolume\Ableton etc for this kind of stuff.
Win7 x64 Pro | 8GB | Nvidia Go 650M/2GB

kosho
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by kosho »

As a visual artist what I found exceptional about Resolume 2.x was the ability to create mixes in real time on many different levels including clip triggering, compositing, effects layering and motion control. R3.x seems to be more skewed towards choreographing one or more of these levels and saving presets in banks. That can be really useful as long as I can still trigger everything in real time, especially with MIDI. Am currently checking that out.

I would like to see more image manipulation facility especially sequencing, pan and zoom One thing I have discovered about live motion graphics is that video + images is a very powerful mix. Often mixing 2 or more video clips together does not add anything to either layer unless it is very carefully done, usually involving more presets with masks. But sequencing, panning and zooming images on one layer and adding video on another seems to permit more dynamic manipulation with very nice results.

Since image manipulation is fairly primitive in R2, I have been prerendering in AfterEffects, but that takes away the live aspect. Please consider adding image sequencing, pan and zoom to R3!!! Thanks.

gradek
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by gradek »

kosho wrote:Please consider adding image sequencing, pan and zoom to R3!!! Thanks.
R3 has image manipulation features. you can move, rotate, scale, flip, stretch the image/video all you want. You can get all the pan/zoom effects you need. As for image sequences. You can compile them with quicktime pro and save as a .mov file to be loaded.

--Martin
Last edited by gradek on Sun Jan 04, 2009 06:40, edited 2 times in total.

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

We are thinking of a way for loading multiple images again. It seems that a lot of people still use this.
So we will have a look on what we can do.

The support for pictures in Resolume 3 we think is much better now. You can load any size image and scale rotate move etc, so you can pan and zoom if you like.
The pictures aren't automatically resized which is nice and it utilizes the alpha channel if you have one.
So it should give you much more flexibility than in version 2, but yes there is no way yet for loading multiple images.

braquage visuel

Post by braquage visuel »

Bart, Edwin,

Is Z rotation corrected? I posted few weeks ago with an exemple.

http://www.resolume.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3999

BR.

Romain