MIDI: snap controller value before change

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Rene
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

MIDI: snap controller value before change

Post by Rene »

is it possible to snap the current value of a parameter (when moving a midi knob) bevore actually changing it ? - so there is no abrupt transition. - especially when working with contextual midi mappings.

edwin
Team Resolume

Re: MIDI: snap controller value before change

Post by edwin »

That's not possible because you can't ask the MIDI device it's current controller values.
That's why most controllers now have support for endless controllers. When using endless controllers Resolume picks up the value and increment or decrements it. This way it never jumps.

gpvillamil
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by gpvillamil »

Ableton (I think) uses a nice solution called "value catching" - basically when it is on, the MIDI controller will affect the parameter only when it passes through the existing setting.

For example:

My MIDI knob is set to 127, and I load a new effect with opacity 0. Normally, touching the knob would make the opacity jump immediately to its value. However, when "catching" is in effect, the knob won't have any effect until it is turned all the way to 0, at which point it will "pick up" the value and start working.

Or say the MIDI controller for layer speed is at 64, and I load a new clip, where the speed is set to the equivalent of 32. If I turn the MIDI controller up, towards 127, it will have no effect. Only when I turn it down, past 32, will it then start working.

For this to work, there has to be good visual feedback in place, showing that the controller is moving relative to the existing value.

I think it would be a good idea for Res 3, since contextual mapping means that switching between effects will often lead to situations where controllers are out of sync with parameter values.

Rene
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Rene »

gpvillamil wrote:"value catching"
that's exactly what I meant. ;) - I think the Edirol v-4 does also this value catching when the T bar is out of sync.

but I have to try the "MIDI endless" function - maybe this works too :?: