Resolume 3 Live Experience

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Tecno`
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Resolume 3 Live Experience

Post by Tecno` »

After using Resolume 3 on a few live events here are my comments positive and negative :)

Firstly my overall impression is very positive with reliability good for a beta.

Positives:

Audio - This is great. I thought I wouldn't ever need this but the weekend we did an item at an event using some video files with audio and triggering was much easier than loading multiple clips into VLC.

Masks - We find this really usefull and have been using masks alot on Resolume 2 (see pics posted by Rags on this page http://www.resolume.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=180 ) but this was long winded and usually meant losing a layer. The ability to put masks on the composition, layers and files is great.

Effects - Having effects on layers is good!

Multi Screen Output - The Advanced options on this is nice for multi GPU use although a soft edging option would make this really usefull.

Layer/File/Composition Manipulation - The X, Y and Z rotation is great for keystoning projections onto strange shapes.

Capture Devices - The time delay on my video input card is nearly non existent and much smoother making this much more usefull for live camera mixing (I haven't tried this on firewire yet).

Proformance - Resolume 3 plays clips so much smoother!

Negatives / Bugs

Speed on layers - This is really missed in a live event as you have to find the clip to change the speed which is slow going if you have switched decks. Also this can't be assigned to a midi device.

Decks - On opening a composition decks are not loaded correctly (already documented on this forum). Deck loading is slow which isn't a major problem but it causes the output to judder which is more of a problem.
In the composition tab decks don't seem to be able to be ordered, alphabetically or in folders like Resolume 2, some of these are listed in white and some are grey is there a reason for this?

Clip / Composition size - It would be nice if there was default option to auto size clips to fit composition size to save resizing all the clips (maybe a tick box in the clip properties)

Audio on Video clips - When loading an uncompressed DV AVI with no codec, containing audio and video, only the audio is loaded (I have not tried this with multiple codecs / formats) This is not a problem for the majority of my clips as they are all formatted with the PicJPEG codec but if someone gives me a file at an event it would need reformatting before use and there is often not enough time for this.

Preview - This is a nice feature but sometimes only works on clips already loaded into the layers.

Midi - I have a Behringer BCR2000 and can't seem to set up the knobs to be endless like in Resolume 2 which means functions jump to the level of the knob, or am I missing something?

Aside from these points the whole interface is much improved so great work guys! I would have posted sooner if I hadn't lost my login details! :)

Tim

near
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Resolume 3 Live Experience

Post by near »

It would be nice if there was default option to auto size clips to fit composition size to save resizing all the clips (maybe a tick box in the clip properties)
I think it would be nice, too :-)

Rene
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Rene »

near wrote:
I think it would be nice, too :-)
yes, please! --> http://www.resolume.com/forum/viewtopic.php?&t=4013

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

Glad to hear you're having fun with Avenue Tecno! We are working on the bugs & suggestions you mention.

DAS BEN
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by DAS BEN »

autosize is really important, because i improvise a lot during the show and my clips have different sizes. it is like someone is playing an elvis sample, and oh yes somewhere i have the cartoon elvis, fuck the wrong size.

HerrNieDa
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by HerrNieDa »

autosize would be nice... but i think you can handle it with different layers... but thats not the best way i think
i also thougt about if playing a panorama... is it possible to get one layer shown multible on the output, so that a pal video is 2 times on the output for example mirrored... i just can do this now with 2 layers aight?
and is there a possibility for particle systems like in modul8? would be nice for picture animations and max would fix the "multible layer crop" problem too!?

ops sry, just found the auto resize function!
edit: the mapping works with the contextual keyboard mapping very fine!
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)