Rendering with Alpha channels

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
ni-cad
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Rendering with Alpha channels

Post by ni-cad »

Hi

I'm trying to render some graphics with Alpha backgrounds from After Effects. Niether the recomended Pic-video 3 nor indeo 5 codecs will render Alpha in AE, I have to compress the clips as they are nearly half a gig each without compression, but the only codecs I can find that support Alpha won't play in Resolume.

Is this a problem you guy's have expierienced before? do you know of a solution or do you have a recomended workaround that I should follow?

edwin
Team Resolume

Re: Rendering with Alpha channels

Post by edwin »

There are few codecs that actually support a proper Alpha channel.
In Quicktime you have some more options, use TGA or Animation codec for proper alpha channels.

ni-cad

Post by ni-cad »

Cool, I'll try those.

Does Resolume have any restriction on the frames per second? Some other apps do, for example After Effects is limited to 99 FPS. I need to know what this maximum is in Resolume as I am working on some graphics wich require a very fast frame rate otherwise you start to see strobing appear around their outlines. Do you know what restriction there is in Resolume on FPS, if any?

Thanks.

gradek

Post by gradek »

I'd imagine Resolume can handle as many FPS as quicktime. So its more of a question as how many FPS can quicktime handle. I'm curious about your 99 fps in AE. I have never heard of anyone working at that frame rate.

But I do have a solution to breaking the 99+ frame barrier (although I have never tested it.) If you NOT working with video, you can always make the clip longer in AE. Just slow down your animation over more time and then play it back faster in Resolume.

for example

a 2 second clip at 25 fps has the same amount of frames as a 1 second clip at 50fps.
Play the 2 second clip at double speed over the course of 1 second you will see 50fps.

So theoretically you could pack in over 100+ FPS if your computer is fast enough. I'd image that you would get drop frames however. Resolume performs around 40-50 fps on my laptop. so I'd doubt you see any difference. Really I don't think the human eye can see more then 60fps maybe less, so I see no reason to create video files that fast. Not to mention limitations with projectors or TV/Computer monitors you are viewing your 100+fps video on.
ni-cad wrote:
Do you know what restriction there is in Resolume on FPS, if any?

Thanks.

VJNYC
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by VJNYC »

Is there anyway to control the framepersecond to allow for more effects and higher quality playback? I am interested in using HD videos but I haven't built my library up yet (working on it now).

gradek

Post by gradek »

Hi VJNYC, I'm not sure I understand your question. Can you be more specific. Control the frame rate in what? Resolume, After Effects, Quicktime? HD and SD video is typically played back at 25fps (PAL) or 29.97fps (NTSC) But if your creating animations without using videofootage you can use any Frame rate you want. Up to 99fps as mentioned above for After Effects.

--
Martin Thoburn
http://www.martin-thoburn.com
VJNYC wrote:Is there anyway to control the framepersecond to allow for more effects and higher quality playback? I am interested in using HD videos but I haven't built my library up yet (working on it now).