Camera input Problems

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Ofer
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Camera input Problems

Post by Ofer »

Hello all,
I am using a firewire webcam called Fire i (good name he?) from unibrain (even better), that worked perfectly with 2.41... but not here... I see the capture device by its good name his mother gave him, but when I drag and click.... Black, no thing
I use xp 64....
Any Ideas?

Very happy to hear them...

Ofer

vizzie

Re: Camera input Problems

Post by vizzie »

I too have this problem, but I'm on a MacBook Pro running 10.6.1

I can see the option for my DV Converter (I use the DataVideo DAC-200) in the settings. I can see the video source in the preview within the settings window where you can set the compression, so I know that Quicktime is seeing the DV Converter correctly. I can also use this DV Converter with Final Cut Express without any problems.

But when I return to the main window of Avenue and click on the DV Video Source clip, I get nothing, just black. One time I got a single frame of noise, but this was a fluke as it's never happened since.

I've tried various options in the settings, changing the compression, changing the frame rate, deinterlacing... nothing works.

It is a very strange problem since it seems to work from within the settings panel.

I'm using a MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 3 GB of RAM
I'm running Mac OS X 10.6

I never used Avenue on OS 10.5 so I don't know if my DV converter would have worked on that OS.

If you need to see the log, I've attached it to this post.
Resolume Avenue 3 log.txt.zip
(7.09 KiB) Downloaded 584 times

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Hey Vizzie

Some other users have reported problems with Firewire inputs on OSX as well. For the majority of the people it's working fine though. I'm running a signal from a Panasonic DVX100 happily through FW400 as I write this.

You haven't mentioned which compression method you have tried in the Settings panel of your video device. In general it's recommended to use the compression method which is native to your device (most likely DV-PAL or DV-NTSC). Any other compression scheme would require extra work, and could cause problems. I mention this mostly for completeness sake, since I'm sure you tried this option already, but other people could benefit from it. If that doesn't work, rest assured that we are aware of the problem, and that we're looking into any possible causes.

BTW, thanks very much for looking around first, and digging up pretty much all the information there was on the forums on Firewire inputs and OSX. It's good to have a refresher once in a while!

Joris

vizzie

Post by vizzie »

right on. yes, I did use the native DV compression, plus a couple of others just to see what would happen.

keep me posted and feel free to include me in as a test subject if any potential patches come out and you need testing done.