win7 64 bit RC1 and reso3

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
hexxy
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

win7 64 bit RC1 and reso3

Post by hexxy »

Hi all,
1st post here, and its good to be an active reso3 chap!
I have been using the demo with win7 RC1, and it works fantastic, well except one problem...

First of all my system..
HPxw8400 8-core 2.33mhz computer.
24 gigs FB 5300 ram
ATI-HD3870x2 (1gig vram)

The problem is that the system all works fine, but after a while(few days with is on the system) it just won't load up.(The screen turns white on startup, and then has an error message and shits down.)
I was thinking it might be the catalyst drivers,(Omega 64 bit for ati cards are not available yet) but could it be win7beta?

I'm going to wait till win7 is officially released(in Oct.) b4 buying reso3 to put on it, but would like to know I will have a stable VJing system when that happens..
Any ideas why I'm having this crash problem?

Thanks in advance,
Pix

wuzzle
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: win7 64 bit RC1 and reso3

Post by wuzzle »

hexxy wrote:Hi all,
1st post here, and its good to be an active reso3 chap!
I have been using the demo with win7 RC1, and it works fantastic, well except one problem...

First of all my system..
HPxw8400 8-core 2.33mhz computer.
24 gigs FB 5300 ram
ATI-HD3870x2 (1gig vram)

The problem is that the system all works fine, but after a while(few days with is on the system) it just won't load up.(The screen turns white on startup, and then has an error message and shits down.)
I was thinking it might be the catalyst drivers,(Omega 64 bit for ati cards are not available yet) but could it be win7beta?

I'm going to wait till win7 is officially released(in Oct.) b4 buying reso3 to put on it, but would like to know I will have a stable VJing system when that happens..
Any ideas why I'm having this crash problem?

Thanks in advance,
Pix
Like all things beta, it'd be best to wait until the shipping final. I am no mouthpiece for Resolume, so can only guess if they've had time to even try it on Win7, but what may work now may not work on the final code due to any fixes/changes they do between now and then. Most developers with a vested interest in future operating systems really start developing on them once the final dev-kit becomes available - not before - since it's a major headache. Heck, I would even wait to hear from others before making the leap in case you need subsequent patches like all new OS's tend to.

Once its out, and if you're still getting the error with the demo, ensure you email them the Resolume log file so they can see what is going on.

It's found on PC at: C:/Documents and Settings/[username]/Application Data/Resolume/Resolume Avenue 3 log.txt

Though Microsoft has said again and again that anything that works on Vista should work on Win7, i'm sure we'll have more than a few things that are problematic due to how they are written, or what services/dll's they call.

For my gig machine, I'm still on XP Pro 32 bit version as it works best for my needs currently.

(that's a nice machine, btw :) - From what I've gleaned, it will only use one of your videocards as we stand. Who knows for the future, what with cool tech like AMD's Stream and nVidia's CUDA SDK's using the GPU starting to pick up steam.
VJ Wuzzle
Shakti Collective - Toronto, Canada

balaclava_man

Post by balaclava_man »

I had a similar problem on Vista64. Turns out that it was the composition itself. Resolume seems to open the last saved composition. I removed the composition from the composition folder and Resolume loaded the Demo project just fine. Once I got it opening and closing again I put my composition back in the compositions folder and tryed to open it from the file menu and guess what? Resolume went all white and froze. I lost a couple of compositions like that - now I save versions. Just in case. Hasn't happened since I paid up and got the serial tho. Hope that gets you going again.
B_man

hexxy

Post by hexxy »

Thanks for the info and help. :D
I think is is the composition, cause I did what you did, and it works again!
I just wish it wasn't going to be oct.09 b4 win7 is officially released, as I
am going to wait to but reso3 until I have a stable win 7 OS :(

wuzzle

Post by wuzzle »

hexxy wrote:Thanks for the info and help. :D
I think is is the composition, cause I did what you did, and it works again!
I just wish it wasn't going to be oct.09 b4 win7 is officially released, as I
am going to wait to but reso3 until I have a stable win 7 OS :(
Fair enough :) I couldn't wait myself, and honestly, I did a 13 hour set with it back at new years eve with 'only' WinXP Pro so you don't really need to wait :ugeek:
VJ Wuzzle

JERREM

Post by JERREM »

I cant wait to install windows 7 on my vista machine, it seems to be everything Vista was not. Ive installed it on my old tablet PC (graphics not good enough for res3) and it works even better then it did on XP. From what ive experienced of the release candidate its ready to install now.

have you tried running Resolume in "XP mode" (windows 7's virtual PC) could be worth a try?
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/
not to mention there is this "XP mode" for running XP inside of 7. so hopefully will be getting much better performance with windows 7, because well quite frankly resolume 3 on vista sucks.

As soon as i can find the time ill give it a try and let you know, my hope is it cant be any worse than vista.
http://www.jerrem.com
Artist, VJ & New Media Activist

wuzzle

Post by wuzzle »

Installed Win 7 RC1 (32bit) under boot camp on my unibody macbook (2.0ghz) today to give it a go with Resolume 3. Thus far it's been stable but I hope to give it a real run in the next day or two if my new daughter will give me enough rest to accomplish it. :roll:

Will report back when I have gleaned any useful information.
VJ Wuzzle

wuzzle

Post by wuzzle »

Ok this is a fairly simple trick to get Res3 stable on Win7 RC1... Just right click Properties on the shortcut or executable file. Set it to Win XP SP2 compatibility and it won't lock up Win7 totally. (sorry no useful log gets created)

Have been running clips in 3 layers with effects for 4 hours now with no hiccups. :ugeek:

machine: late 2008 unibody macbook 2.0ghz, 2 gig ram, 500 gig internal sata, 500 gig external clipdrive, Korg nanoKontrol, Windows 7 (32bit) running under Bootcamp 2.1 with nVidia Win7 driver rev 8.15.11.8585 (30/04/2009)
VJ Wuzzle